POLITICS Fake News

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Shameful

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

So... when did he make his case? When he repeated the claim? If you answer a "why do you think x" with "because I think x," and even prefaced that with a statement like history being written by the victors... Uh, ya, that seems to be what ole Chuck is talking about. I don't see anything out of context, and @A-Smith must walk around ringing a bell constantly his entire life if that is "shameful." It was quite literally THE context. The EXACT context.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I took his "history being written by the victors" as being that he couldn't control how it would be written. And perhaps even defeatist. The anti-Trumpists will write most of the history if we are being honest.

And it was a very shameful edit. He directly answered the reporter's query. Maybe the answer wasn't specific enough but he did not arrogantly wink it off with a "we are going to write the history" the way Chuck Todd implied. The edit completely altered the tone and posture of his response. That's Meet the Press. They should be better. And NBC has apologized.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Directly answered how? He just said it was an injustice, not WHY.

Everybody apologizes for everything now. Folks are scared.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You don’t think Todd’s being dishonest there, IP? Playing to half of the quote, and a joking one at that?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hilarious joke.

If this is the standard, we need to bump that "You didn't build that" thread where his entire speech was ignored.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He purposefully cut off half the quote to make Barr look worse. It was a Fox News/CNN type of move. Meet the Press used to have some integrity.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Two wrongs.

You don’t think he’s being dishonest there, IP?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

How much of a statement must be quoted, when asking about a portion of the statement?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I think it is a fair line of inquiry to ask "what the hell did that mean" regarding history being written by the victors on a matter of the law.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's what gets me:

Correctly, that line was zoomed in on. Incorrectly, it spawned an inquiry of "why didn't he invoke upholding justice?" when the whole response does emptily invoke it... But that line was a slip of the mask. Barr was talking about "victors." I.e., he was talking about politics and not justice, not the law, etc. THAT is what should have been questioned. He revealed what this is all about, and why the DOJ isn't going to now go back on every other case in which a person pleas guilty and then changes their mind: politics.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You might want to relisten:

Todd: I was struck, Peggy, by the cynicism of the answer. It’s a correct answer, but he’s the attorney general. He didn’t make the case that he was upholding the rule of law. He was almost admitting that, yeah, this is a political job.

What Barr Said:

Barr: Well, history is written by the winner. So it largely depends on who’s writing the history. But I think a fair history would say that it was a good decision because it upheld the rule of law. It helped, it upheld the standards of the Department of Justice, and it undid what was an injustice.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Using the half quote he said Barr admitted that it was a political decision, when the full quote clearly has him stating that the right decision was made in regards to the letter of the law.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

She asked how the history would be written. It was a direct response to the query. Kind of a stupid question, but that's not his fault.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I do not understand the debate on this one?!?

Todd said that he did not say X when he clearly said X.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the case he made that he was upholding the law?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He was not asked to say anything like that. He was asked how the history would be written and he said that if it were written fairly, people would remember he made the right decision because it upheld the law.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Doesnt matter if it fits an agenda