POLITICS Filing a Complaint with Police

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It doesn’t have to be this way, and shouldn’t.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well that sucks.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

They really don't like for you to file a complaint. One thing I saw, my local police municipality did give out the form, but I'm sure they probably just throw it away when you turn it in. (Not really, they got in trouble for hiding stuff years ago, and now they take it very seriously)

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I would wager that this is still an improvement over years past. Not that it's in any way acceptable.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

They shoot, choke, etc.; and kill unarmed people on camera and get away with it. Why would they worry about someone filing a complaint?!?

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Can’t watch it right now. Anybody care to summarize?

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Police harassing and intimidating citizens who ask about filing a complaint.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Thanks

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Every law enforcement agency should be legally required to:

1. Publicly display and provide ready access to hard copy complaint forms, both at every precinct / station and elsewhere in other areas of high public traffic (e.g. the mall, other government buildings, etc.), and which does not require either permission or interaction with another person in order to be obtained, and

2. These forms should all be readily available online, for completion and/or downloading, and

3. Every complaint can be submitted anonymously by and/or on behalf of anyone, at any time, for any reason, and

4. The police department should be required to maintain a record of any received complaint, including the totality of their subsequent inquiries, actions and ultimate response to it, and

5. To further provide this aggregated information into a central repository / database for the purposes of being made available for official oversight and to the public at large.

I’m all for cops. I’m all for the rule of law. But the immensity of their power, and the trust which society places upon them, must be equally matched with transparency and accountability. To fail to do so is to not only invite - but to practically beg - that some abuses will occur, and to some unknown level and frequency.

kptvol, Butthole, warhammer and 4 others like this.