Finish Line Ultimate Racing Text Based Racing Sim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DownNDirty, Sep 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Hey guys,

I'm working closely with the designer of a game in development right now. This is going to be a text based sim racing game where you are a car owner trying to make it in the sport. Obviously, for licensing reasons, as the game is released we can't include real world cars, tracks, team owners, etc. However, the modding community will be welcomed to mod the default database. The game designer is going to make it a stock car simulator based off of the NASCAR series. However, we are trying diligently to make sure the game will be customizable to the point where modders can turn it into whatever they want - F1, Indycar, V8 Supercar, etc. The game designer already has a few text based games under his belt and he's working with the people at Grey Dog Software who makes very good text based sims.

One job I've been tasked with is creating customized driver traits. These traits will help make the game a bit more appealing. I will share some traits here and ask that anyone that would like to shoot ideas out there to feel free. I'll try to incorporate as many as possible into the finished version of this game.

Here is an early, early list of traits. Not all may make the cut and some names may be changed but you can at least see where we are going here.

Big Race this driver excels in the big races. He brings his A game to races like the Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, All Star Race, Brickyard 400, and the races in the Chase (last 10 races of the year). He gets an added boost for being a big race "racer."

Red Mist when this driver gets beat around during the race and gets mad his aggression shoots through the roof. He drives with precision and cunning. He's at his best when he's at his maddest.

Mr. Smooth this is the trait of someone that doesn't easily get rattled. He is consistent and ice water runs through his veins when behind the wheel. When there's trouble around him he seemingly can avoid it easier than most.

Bounce Back this driver is known to follow a race where he didn't do so well with a race where he runs very well. He's not likely to have back to back poor performances.

Nervous Nellie this guy folds under pressure. No matter his talent level if something goes wrong during a race he loses his composure. It's hard for him to comeback from any type of setback he faces in an event. If everything goes perfect he's fine but that first flat tire and then he's just all to pieces the remainder of the event.

Slideways can seemingly drive a car sideways and not spin out. Car control to the max. This driver defies physics with his cat like reflexes and ability to control a 3500 pound machine

Iron Man this guy is durable. You can throw a grenade in his car and he'll somehow be unscathed. He doesn't tire during a race and is in excellent race shape.

ONE Pure speed demon in qualifying settings. Is a pole machine.

Golden Horseshoe It seems like this driver has the proverbial golden horseshoe lodged up his rear end. Nothing seems to go wrong most of the time for this driver. If he has a flat tire he is saved by a caution it seems. If there is a 20 car accident and he is right there in the middle of it he somehow comes out unscathed. Hence, the Golden Horseshoe

The Gambler This is another high trait in the luck category. When the Gambler trait is active your driver has a better chance of taking risks that pay off. When the "Gambler" gambles on gas mileage he typically comes out on the good side.

Airplane in the Field your driver is cursed. We apologize. He can be in the middle of a 500 acre field enjoying a picnic and an airplane falls out of the sky right on him. If there's a wreck he has a good shot of being in it. If anyone would run out of fuel on the last lap of the race it's him.

Driving Scared This happens when your driver has a nasty accident and is injured. Once he comes back he drives a little more cautiously. This especially effects him at the larger tracks on the circuit where the drivers go the fastest.

The Closer This driver is able to close strong in an event. You may not see him for the first 2/3 of the race but all of a sudden at the end he's a contender

The Mayor Everyone looks up to this driver in the garage. He exhibits great leadership and is a voice of reason in a chaotic environment.

The Roadie This driver excels on road course settings. He can manuever a car better than anyone else in a road course race. He's always a huge threat on this type of circuit.

See the Air This driver can almost literally see the air in a Restrictor Plate race setting. He is a drafting master. A truly "intimidating" presence at Superspeedways.

Hollywood A driver with this trait is a magnet for sponsors. He is one of the most charismatic people in the garage area.
    Night Time is the Right Time This driver seems to excel during races run at night. No rhyme or reason but his performance seems to increase greatly during night races.

The Heat is On This driver excels when the temperatures are blazing. With slick tracks in hot weather this hotshoe literally can melt the competition.

Grizzled Veteran This driver has been in the sport for a long time. He is one of the most consistent drivers on the circuit very rarely crashing out and is well respected in the garage.

Some of the traits will apply to every race if the driver has that specific trait. The abilities that the traits affect will be: Skill, Consistency, Aggression, Charisma, Leadership, Luck, and Car Control. Other traits will be race specific or even triggered by an event during a race. If anyone would like to throw out some ideas I will try to see what we can do about getting quite a few traits added to this new text based sim racing game.

Initially, Skill, Consistency, Aggression, Leadership, Luck, Charisma, and Car Control are the main attributes for driver's in game.

We are pushing to have the following categories also added: Raw Pace, Smoothness, Tire Use, Fuel Use, Intelligence, Experience, Stamina, and Mistakes.

Also, instead of blanket attributes that would translate to all tracks we are trying to get this shifted to sub categories of:

Short tracks
    Mile oval
    Speedways
    Superspeedways
    Road Courses
    Street Courses

It's a work in progress and we are still working out the details. Once it gets going I may not be able to share a great deal of information but I know the designer is open to taking ideas right now from us and I'm trying to poll serious sim racers here for ideas they would have for a sim racing game also so if you want to shoot me your ideal sim text based racing game experience feel free. I will try to give him as much feedback as possible so the best possible game gets made here.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Chad Little- this guy will collect a handful of top-10s but will wreck in any race where he's not in contention.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Randy Broyles= he just wins. All the time. Every time.