fivethirtyeight.com claims there are no trap games... but kind of flubbed the analysis

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Nov 12, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's their article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/upsets-happen-in-college-football-trap-games-not-so-much/

They compare "trap game" winning percentage vs "all games against unranked opponents," and conclude that because the win percentages are similar, there is no evidence of a trap game.

Anyone see the obvious broken logic here? They did not look at the independent variable... independently. There is no control group. This is a site I frequent often for sports and other things, and RELIABLY find fallacies in their work such that it seems likely that they attempted to work backwards from a conclusion to support it.

If you separate trap games from non-trap games, you get 143-21 (.872) for trap games, and 1018-128 (.888). Does this significantly change the picture? No, not really. But their methodology didn't make sense.

What about their interpretation? Is the difference between 87.2 % and 88.8 % in a 16-season sample meaningful? Would controlling for other meaningful factors such as P-5 opponents, annual rivals, etc change the picture? After all, I have never heard an FCS opponent be called a trap game seriously, let alone a non P-5 unranked team. And what about Top 5 teams only? Or Top 15? Top 25? Perhaps the "trap" effect becomes more notable looking at different thresholds for being the trappee? I don't have the time right this moment to dive into that, but I think a more complete definition of a "trap game" besides "unranked opponent" would be interesting to look at.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The thing is, what is the definition of a trap game?

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Depends what the definition of "is" is.

Ssmiff likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well they looked at Top 10 teams who played an unranked opponent right after a ranked opponent. I'm saying that isn't really a good definition of a trap game. The "trap" isn't just anyone, it would need to be a credible unranked team.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would a trap game not be a game against a less opponent sandwiched between two big games?

AbeFroman likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That sounds more like a trap game than "unranked opponent"

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"I know it when I see it"

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

That there is even the slight edge towards unranked opponents after a ranked game for top 10 teams leads me to believe there IS something to trap games, if one narrowed what constituted a trap game to something more specific.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's how I have always defined it in my head.

I'd call what they call a trap game a "letdown game".

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, which one would expect to not be super prevalent compared to just playing an unranked team in general, hence why it is so damn disappointing.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

tl;dr?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We’ve had at least 5 to 7 trap games on our schedule every year since 2010

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

classic line.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You have to be a top 10 team to have a trap game, in how they framed it.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We've been the trap, playing those ranked teams, making them trap games.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No, dumbasses, every time we lose it was obviously a trap game

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Italian humor

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.