Good Guy Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 30, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/apr/30/uts-jones-speaks-with-his-money-too/

Jones may not ever win big here, but he's a much better person than [ddiapos]

And also:

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Well that doesn't bode well for 2014 but should set us up nicely for 2015 and beyond.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good story. Dooley would have offered to eat the children.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Who knows if he will win here, the only thing he has proven is that he can recruit at a level acceptable to Tennessee. But I will say there is something to like about this guy's makeup. I admire someone who flies from Michigan to Tampa Bay every weekend as a young man just to wash the Buccaneers uniforms in an effort to get a foot in the door. Blue collar is the only way he knows and if he can't get it done here it won't be for lack of effort.

My roommate worked at Chick-Fil-A last year on Kingston at the drive thru and Butch would swing through every now and then and would always make an effort to talk with my friend. My roommate was walking to class last winter minding his own business when he heard someone scream his name across the street. It was Butch Jones and he crossed the street and remembered my friends name and asked him how everything was going with school and life. Even something as small as Butch remembering the Chick Fil A guys name at the window who served him shows a lot to me about his character. He really does embrace every opportunity he gets when he is around people.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He seems like a good dude, and I admire hard workers. They are a dying breed in this country.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would have had his accountant draw up papers for the loan amortized over 10 years at 15%.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Other than obvious reasons, I can't help but want him to win. Just the kind of guy you cheer for.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's why he's killing it in recruiting

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

It's a regular Butch fest up in here. Like what I see so far. A thousand times better than dapper dan.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

What Butch "gets" is that the seminal point in the recruiting process is conveying to others that they are wanted and valued. If you want a player, you must get mom, dad, grandparents and best friends on board.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I really don't care if he's a good guy. Cuonzo was a good guy too.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I understand this and fully believe he'll be less of a good guy to his coordinators the next season they don't develop a QB and get taken apart by any offense with a pulse.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It shouldn't be what the job hangs on. But it's not a bad thing either.

14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I get what your saying.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Butch has my full support. At least until he proves he can't coach. He's proven he can recruit and work hard.

Good guys dont always win, but I hope this guy does.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Big picture it didn't matter with Martin and it won't with Jones.

That said I hope he has both. He already has one covered.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Recognizing their good dudes isn't the same as giving them VFL contracts. Just nice to know when the AD is dropping 7 figures a year on a guy, he's also a good human being.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Harbaugh, Kelly, Saban, Meyer, all *******s. Many among the biggest *******s ever to coach.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't have a problem with him being a good guy, unless it keeps him from coaching worth a damn and holding people around him accountable. Being a good guy is a nice sidelight. I was just passing along that it has nothing to do with his corching or contribution to our athletic programs, which are now completely in the crapper.