Greg Clark

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Aug 6, 2012.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Other sites are saying he's heavily in the mix for the starting NT position. Is this true or just blind optimism?

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've read the same things. I guess we will just have to wait and see. If it is true, we have a lot more quality depth.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's McCullers' job to lose.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Sounds like he's really stepping up. Could allow for Couch to play out at end primarily.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Having depth is not a bad thing.

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'm hoping it's true. You can never have enough quality dl.

7. Oldvol75

Read part of a article on TOSS interviewing Clark. Basically said that Palmaro is a better coach than Thompson, that he teaches more detail than Thompson did. Interesting!

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Not surprised. Thompson was brought in more as a recruiting star than a coach and he didn't light the world on fire at either job. Seems like we have a better mix of coaches and recruiters.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It may depend on the sort of guys you're bringing in as to how much detail you have to give. I imagine the 5 star HS superstars have been to enough camps and such to know some tricks. 3 star projects, not so much. They may be partly why Thompson wasn't as "detailed." Just coming from a different experience than what the situation was here.

I'm stretching, but just playing devil's advocate.

10. Oldvol75

Everybody gets coached the same. You have to be able to play the technique that the coaches want you to play. It doesn't matter what their star rating was if they don't play the proper technique, they can't play.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wasn't Thompson the one that found Clark or was that Carson?

Either way, he was brought in to recruit more than coach and he didn't do a great job at that.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bow to your experience. That is troubling to hear. We need coaches that can recruit more than recruiters that can coach.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was here because he was Saban's recruiting coordinator and he would do what Monte wanted him to do in regards to technique.

Kiffin made no bones about going out and getting the best recruiters from the best staffs he could get, if nothing else just to say he did it.

14. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

I thought it was Dooley who found Clark. A few weeks after Dooley salvaged the 2010 class he inked Clark who no other big schools wanted. I was thinking Dooley had ties to him or his coach somehow, could be wrong as my memory doesn't get better.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think you're right

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hopefully he will continue to push. Competition is healthy.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Can he play more than 10 snaps a game at 370?

18. chavisut

I'm not sure what is conditioning is, but he carries 370 pretty well.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I agree. Couch carried 315 well but at this time last year he could hardly breath.

20. chavisut

True that. If he can play first downs and short yardage situations it would be nice.