High Expectations for 2012

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

who does Tennessee lose next year? do any juniors or RS sophs have a chance at leaving?
    if you guys dont lose much..I think its yours to lose in 2012...

2. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

We lose Poole on offense and Malik, Ben Martin, and Austin Johnson of defense. Malik will be the only big loss.

3. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

Im optimistic. I definetly think we should make some noise next year.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Welcome

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I hear ya, but it's not as if we haven't seen some very good backs on average teams in the SEC.

Deuce Mcallister, Moe Williams, Garrison Hearst, Darren McFadden, Emmitt Smith. Hell, even George Rogers. All those guys were great, but none of them won anything of consequence.

BearCat204 likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

8 wins or Mr. Hart starts the hiring process.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm a Malik fan, but haven't seen the DT thing working very well for him.

8. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I would say I'm somewhere between optimistic and realistic. Run game and D still have a long way to go, but I'm keeping the faith.

9. Brinkley52

you are right..but all of those players were on GREAT offenses....with most of those players the D on their team wasn't very good...I think of those who you named..only McFadden, Smith, and Rogers are in Lattimore's league....Lattimore is a top 5 pick whenever he decides to come out...he is one of the most complete backs I have ever seen...that is why I think SCAR will be good again on offense next year...and their D should be better..so I think UT wins the East...but I think SCAR gives them a run...just my two cents...but Lattimore is incredible...a treat to watch...

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I feel like people seem to think that you can't win the SEC if you have a weakness. While the SEC is a great, you don't have to be perfect to win.

2010 Auburn didn't really even bother with defense. 2007 LSU only played part time. Tennessee doesn't need to be perfect for 2012 to be a very good year.

If UT figures out the defensive line and the coaches do a good job with the younger players than UT should be outstanding next year.

11. Brinkley52

good point...agreed...winning the SEC takes catching breaks, clutch play, and a favorable schedule in terms of who you play from the opposite division....

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Wow. While I agree that he's a great back, I'm not sure he's a lock to be a top 5 pick.

The first running back wasn't selected until #28 in this year's draft, and only 1 back has been selected in the top 5 over the last 5 drafts (McFadden). He looks like a certain 1st rounder, but not sure he has the whoosh to be a top-5 lock.

13. Brinkley52

what Lattimore offers that NFL scouts crave is he is a great pass blocker and can catch out of the backfield...something that McFadden just plain out wouldn't do (pass block)...I know you guys don't see much of him outside of when he plays UT...but watch him this week if you get a chance..notice the other components he offers besides averaging over 6 yards a carry...that is why I think he will be a top 5..

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Stop turning every thread into a USCe is the shit thread.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Defending SECe champs, broskie. Act like you know.

16. Brinkley52

I merely have stated my belief that Lattimore will be a top 5 selection...I have never said that SCAR is "the shit"...in fact I have stated several times that Tennessee should be the team to beat in 2012 and stated that I think if Hunter doesn't go down that UT/UF comes down till the end...I think it is pretty common knowledge that SCAR is the team to beat in the East this year, based on winning last year and returning the talent from last year's team, my argument is I don't think they will go away quickly like some on here want to believe that they are a flash in the pan...the base is there to be in top 2-3 for some time in terms of guys who aren't currently starting

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not that optimistic. OL will need to get tons better and unless the first few games have been outliers, something must be done about kicking and punting.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Optimistic

19. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

idiotic...considering our rushing game

20. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

fyp