Hoops Dynasty

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tar Volon, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I know this is not a game in anything resembling the same way as the others in this forum, but I thought this went here anyways. Anybody else play? If so, tell me where and we can see about scheduling a non-conference game.

If not, let this be my brief sales pitch. This is a team-building game. If you like team-building games, it's one of the best. If you don't, stop reading. You don't play the games, but you do handle the recruiting and set lineups and strategies (e.g. what kind of offense, defense, tempo, distribution of plays run for each guy, double-teams, etc.). You start with a D3 college basketball program (an actual D3 school, not any of this made up nonsense--although some conferences had to be realigned for competitive balance) and recruit your own guys, schedule your own games, set your own strategies, and basically try to win the NCAA tournament. If you're succeeding, you can either stay in D3 and try to build a dynasty (a lot of people do this, there are some D3 conferences that are the most competitive in the game) or apply for D2 or D1 jobs. There are multiple, independent worlds, so if the team you want isn't available in one, they may be in another.

I started playing when I had some free time in the summer, and I got hooked. This is just the sort of game I love. I now have four teams in four worlds. Today and tomorrow, Crum World is taking signups, and I'd love some company in the Ohio Conference, if anyone wants to give the game a try. (Signups here: Hoops Dynasty ). Otterbein, Ohio Northern, Wilmington, Muskingum, and Marietta are available, with Otterbein and Ohio Northern probably best primed for success. Wilmington has 12 upperclassmen but no available scholarships, so it would be a nice spot to sit and watch recruiting for a year and then jump in next year.

I also have D3 teams in Iba (Cal Tech, in the SoCal Conference) and Naismith (Whitworth, in the Northwest) and a D2 school in Allen (Kentucky Wesleyan, in the Great Lakes Valley Conference). The worlds are all on different schedules, so if it sounds interesting but you don't want to sign up now, you can reserve a team in another world.

(worth noting on the annoying pragmatic side: after every season, you get an HD credit, depending on your success level. If you sucked, you may get 50 cents off. If you win the title, you get a full season free. These credits can be saved and stacked. So the better you get, the less you pay)

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I played Gridiron Dynasty back when it was relatively new, but it got stale. Had a pretty successful run with Bridgewater in D3 Leahy.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've never played either of these games, but they're probably both right up my ally. Baseball simulation/GM games are my favorite. My favorite game of all time was called Diamond Legends. You built a roster from a pool of every player in MLB history who had completed a career with a salary cap of 50 million dollars (Bane Ruth had the highest salary of about 12 million). Then played 3 games a night against people who were doing the same. The game was highly sabermetric.

I'm going to look into both of these games starting Friday (my last final exam).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012