POLITICS How Conservatives Weaponized the First Amendment

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by VolDad, Jul 2, 2018.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

...“The left was once not just on board but leading in supporting the broadest First Amendment protections,” said Floyd Abrams, a prominent First Amendment lawyer and a supporter of broad free-speech rights. “Now the progressive community is at least skeptical and sometimes distraught at the level of First Amendment protection which is being afforded in cases brought by litigants on the right.”

Many on the left have traded an absolutist commitment to free speech for one sensitive to the harms it can inflict....

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/...n=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The first amendment is core to this country, but the first amendment is between citizen and government, not citizen and citizen.

And that is something a lot of people do not understand.

MWR, justingroves, lylsmorr and 2 others like this.
  3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

simple and succinct

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I may be in that group. Are you saying some speech should be limited?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's saying the 1st amendment doesn't apply between me and you. You can kick me off your property if I say something you don't like at your bbq.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The owners of this forum can limit your speech. In fact, if you come on here complaining that all redheads are evil and need to be wiped off the face of the earth, it is well within their right to squash your speech.

However, the government cannot come and arrest you.

The owners of this forum, however, cannot keep you from keep on saying these things about gingers, but just from saying them here.

And if you don't like that form of moderation, you are welcome to go elsewhere.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Redheads are an abomination