How important is playing football games in Nashville for the Vols?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, May 18, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does playing in Nashville really matter for recruiting in the mid state?

We already play at Vanderbilt every other year. We have made an ugly habit of going to the Music Shitty Bowl. Now we are scheduling a neutral site game there?

If it truly helps us, okay. But does it? It seems like the Volunteer presence is strong in Middle Tennessee to me, when I visit.

Would moving games to Memphis or some out-of-state location be better? Or does this even matter at all in the current environment of travel and internet media?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bonus tangential question: Is the home and home against UVA deliberate and geared towards growing a presence on the recruiting trail in that state?

3. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s ever a bad thing to drive as much of a flag in your home state as possible, but having said that, I would think reaching into Memphis would be more beneficial comparatively.

According to the VQ guys Virginia is a place the vawls are trying to infiltrate. I can’t pretend to know myself.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

But all that aside, it’s much better publicity than going to play BYU imo

IP likes this.
  5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Personally I feel that game locations play little to no role in recruiting anymore. Johnny from Murfreesboro doesnt give a damn about a neutral site game in Nashville every now and then.

InVolNerable and IP like this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Memphis ain't happening unless we play at a high school stadium because there is no way we're gonna get the Liberty Bowl.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Playing in Charlotte would be a bigger boost in recruiting. Midstate kids aren't on the fence. They know whether or not they wanna be at UT.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Everything has a price

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  9. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I don't know that playing in Charlotte or DFW or Glasgow, Montana really matters anymore from a recruiting standpoint.

InVolNerable likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Depends if HS coaches can connect and go to practice or meet with Heupal. Doesn’t hurt to get time with Ingle Martin, Dilfer, BA, MBA, Oakland, etc coaches.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unnecessary, and when a home game is played in Nashville, it robs local businesses of money and local fans of a chance to see a game.

Hate Nashville games. hate them.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Theyre stupid. Atlanta too.

13. CardinalVol

And it would be SEC membership.

No.

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I think it degrades the program. Seems desperate. If TN wants neutral site games then pick Atlanta, NYC, Miami, LA, Jerry’s place. Nashville? Screw that. Forfeit and take the L

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't sound reasonable. What Atlanta was 30 years ago is what Nashville is now- a regional hub of growing national importance.

16. CardinalVol

I mean, it's the same as when Arkansas plays in Little Rock. Middle TN isn't as solid orange as it's once was and it's a way to play in front of people there. We will have 7 games in Neyland. I don't want to do it every year, but once every so often I don't care.

justingroves likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Orange in mid Tn is on its way back. Saw more during football, then more with basketball and baseball. We are winning over teenagers again. Plus, especially where I am, seems like half wmsn county kids go to UT and student involvement in athletics hasn't been this high in awhile. I'll have one up there next year.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't mind it every once in awhile. It's also a good reason to go to Nissan Stadium and point out to my kids how Neyland is much better

19. CardinalVol

I still call it Adelphia.

20. Ssmiff

there's nothing wrong with hitting Rippys rooftop or Martin's before, then a couple tailgates, game, then gtfo and head to Gulch or somewhere else away from Broadway after.