How the hell

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 12, 2021.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Did Pruitt not play Simmons and Baron more last year?

How the hell do you not get Jimmy Calloway on the field more?

2. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Getting Garner back in Knoxville is going to pay a lot of dividends for Heupel if he sticks around. Matthew Butler graded a 90.9 on PFF yesterday. Above 90 is considered “elite” performance

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Every defensive position group has multiple guys who are playing better than any defender did last year.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was struck by the number of times Pickett had to hold the ball because coverage was good. Didn’t always end well but still

Tar Volon likes this.
  6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

The defense was great. I know 41 points, but the 3 TO really hurt them and with how fast the offense is playing they’re going to give up some #s. That was my main concern for this team. Seeing the offense be the problem gives me hope as even without solid QB play, we should have put up 41 on them and taken them to overtime barring that terrible spot. Much encouraged after last week.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What did Simmons grade out at? He's one of the biggest reasons the linebackers are able to go make plays, teams are paying him a lot of attention

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How many 3 and outs did Pitt have, 7 or 8?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If they didn't score a touchdown, they went three and out until the final drive that ended the game

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Defense was swarming start to finish….I enjoy seeing that.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The dline stunts extremely well. They play aggressively along the line of scrimmage, which Pruitt never did. He wanted two gappers and linebackers running free but didn't attempt to confuse the oline.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's so simple but it's been lacking since....2009? 2016?

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That didn’t happen…at all last year. We still gave up 41 points, so there’s obviously room for improvement, but it feels like there’s a little more of us making plays and a little less counting on the opponent to mess up

14. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

2015 D was better right?

ptclaus98 likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Probably, JRM was healthy

ptclaus98 likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnett put the fear of God in opposing offensive coordinators

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You know, I was going to say that the defense made some plays but had a bad day overall just with the point total, but they held Pitt to 4.8 yards per play. Only 16 teams in the country held opponents to 4.8 yards per play or less last year. So that’s actually really good. But, as you say, we were killed by two turnovers deep in our own territory, and their QB just made a lot of clutch plays on third and fourth down.

For reference, we gave up 5.0 in the year that we thought we might have something with Pruitt and 5.7 last year.

Volsdude likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

peyton manning has become a [dadgum] curse.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They have to cause a few turnovers. That's the one big thing they haven't done. What's funny is that they'll have more opportunities to do that against Florida than most anyone else on the schedule

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Coaching for his buyout, not to win games.