Hurd is a franchise player in the making

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Sep 30, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a better pass blocker than Allen Kendrick

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah I saw that. I was more happy to see his reaction at the end. I like team play and team attitude. If lane jacks that lb into blount county Hurd might have gotten further.

Just commenting on the attitude of a replaced player.

3. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

I do like his attitude. It would be easy for him to just go through the motions because his number is called less and less each week.

4. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Butch called him out after the UGA. Look for Derrell Scott to start getting some of the carries that Lane was getting earlier in the year.

5. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

Im 100% fine with that. Other than the experience aspect, I think Scott is a better back.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He dragged that guy 14 yards.

7. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Agreed. I really don't think Butch wants to run Hurd into the ground like Spurrier did to Lattimore.

Lane has been so ineffective this year. I was way off on my preseason prediction that he was going to have a breakout type of senior season.

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

To be fair, Hurd has had the bulk of his good runs on plays that weren't the no-read option. Lane hasn't really had the chance to run those plays.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Lane has flashes but gets happy feet and is a little too patient sometimes. If he were more consistent he would have more carries.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I tried to tell you he was going to be good

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He'd have more carries if this offense had a semblance of a ground game. In Bigeastian's mind, a screen to Josh Smith is worth 5 off-tackle plays.

12. kidbourbon

I never said he wasn't. I merely corrected a Todd Gurley comparison.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I thing Hurd my break the Vols record for BJs received from sorority girls if he keeps running the way he has been

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

IIRC you were pretty skeptical this spring based on his height.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

One other point to pull from those clips. Our OL while not being able to pass block a group of blue hairs, run block decently.

The quickest way to get run off the field ( against decent to good teams) is for Worley to be on the bench with a broken collarbone. The easiest way to lower the chance of that happening is run the football more.

16. kidbourbon

More concerned than skeptical, but sure.

ETA: and at least some of that was his height combined with his weight, which made me think he didn't quite fit the mold of a bruiser type back. And I'll happily say that he's stronger than I expected.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Me, too. I thought he'd be lanky.

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

As did I, but he's plenty thick and another year in this S&C program will make him look the part even more.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He doesn't fit this offense, but he's made for power football.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

need more pistol