Hyams' Take on Currie Hire

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

How much of this can be proven true and accurate, in whole or in part, and considering how even Hyams admitted to getting bum dope along the way of the AD hire, may be debateable. But there is great stuff in Hyams' report, not only on the hire itself, but also on the likely dynamics of how Currie's hire, both as it was made, and perhaps some inkling as to how it will play out.

And kudos to Hyams for one thing - he specifically names Jimmy Haslam as being who wanted Currie, and the driving force behind this hire.

The whole article is well worth a read, but some of the better tidbits are:
    The last bit is both my favorite and the most Tennessee thing of all Tennessee things. How do you form a search committee to make a unifying pick, and not know this?

This is as firmly negative as you may ever hear Jimmy Hyams be when it comes to the machinations of TN. If he felt the liberty to make such a comment, you have to wonder if it's because he knows that just as many big money people agree with him, and will shield him from repercussion. Simply, when even Jimmy Hyams is openly questioning both the hire and casting doubt on the new AD's tenure - even before Day 1 - then there is a fantaatically great chance that you've just made a terrible hire, and one which will only cause further disharmony on The Hill.

All emphasis in the comments is my own.

Link: http://www.sportsradiownml.com/2017/03/01/jimmys-blog-currie-was-late-addition-to-ad-search/

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What's most disconcerting is when you find yourself being more sympathetic to the flames.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's actually amazing. I've never seen Hyams write without company spin.

5. NorrisAlan

http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony&b=2609

Ryan Wallace of K states recruiting site had a lot to say about Currie. Basically, no one is sad to see him go. He seems to be all about facilities and money. We already have otherworldly facilities and money coming out our bung hole.

I wonder if Blackburn was talking about winning on the field and Currie was talking $$$$ and the powers that be saw $$$$$ and got a 4 hour erection?

6. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I'm gonna start putting my diploma on the dashboard so I can start parking in handicap spots...

7. NorrisAlan

POTM consideration

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There is an obvious disconnect between what Haslam thinks sells tickets and everyone else thinks sells tickets.

A new resturant in the concourse doesn't sell tickets. Trophies do

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Well dunn

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The idea that the Haslams don't really care about winning and just want the University to avoid being a scandalous embarrassment seems to make more sense all the time. Currie is a compliance lunatic that should ensure we don't have to worry about any postseason bans. Or, you know, making the postseason.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Worst boosters in America. #WBIA

12. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

lol well done

Based on what I've read about him, this is going to torpedo any chance we have of being competitive. He is over the top worried about compliance, much to the chagrin of his coaches.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Going on 20 years without a meaningful trophy and they seem to be filling the seats up enough to keep themselves and the people at the university happy.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I call horse shit on the compliance part. He was a big part in hiring Bruce and in getting Ramar Smith in here.

That being said, the Haslams do want Tennessee to remain scandal free

15. NorrisAlan

The first few years of a new coach and they will fill it up. The fans will eventually stop coming, and that will be this year if what I think happens actually happens this year.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

TV money has helped

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Currie has been described by many as arrogant and cocky and condescending.

I like him already.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a dipshit. He's named dropped Condredge and Peyton in his first two answers.

He's also said critical a few times.

19. NorrisAlan

Holy ****, he is Butch's long lost twin brother! Butch dropped Peyton's name at his presser.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Did you like Dave Hart?