I'm not ready to punt

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I hate seeing that so many people are ready to give up. I'm so sick of seeing phrases like "I'll take it at this point" or "home run considering the circumstances" coming from our fan base. Vols fans have to be strong and not let Haslam and Currie win. Media members have given up, former players and many fans just seem to want a Tennessee guy, and I've even seen people say we should just "punt" and make Hoke or Fulmer the interim coach.

I'm sorry, but that idea that we should "punt" is horseshit. We "punted" in 2010 and we spent three seasons waiting for the next coaching search. We "punted" after the 2012 season, and we've had to wait five [uck fay]ing years to do it again. I don't want to wait another five years. I genuinely don't think the boosters (outside of the Haslam family) have given up. I get that Gruden probably laughs in our face at this point, but that doesn't mean we should just say [uck fay] it and give Kevin Steele or Tee Martin the job.

The season hasn't even been over for a week. [uck fay] "punting." Let's go for it. If we lose, let's at least not lose on purpose.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So if you are AD who do you go hire?

justingroves likes this.
  3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Gundy or Brohm would have been fine. Solid upgrade from the last two and we'd be in good shape. Any of the others so far would have been no better than keeping Botch.

That said, until Currie and Haslam are run off, there's not a whole lot that is going to make UT what it could and should be.

4. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

So we can offer a truck load of money to Gundy, but not Brohm? Or any other decent coach? Little fishy.

dtmvol, TangoUniform and justingroves like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You go listen to Anderson and Thornton

JayVols, dc4utvols and BearCat204 like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

More I think about Gundy, [uck fay] him.

JayVols, gcbvol and NYY like this.
  7. TennTradition

The Brohm situation was odd. He met my criteria, but I’ll admit he was on the lower end of guys I wanted. But if they rolled him out Sunday after his buyout drops, I’m not complaining.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Gundy never had any intention of coming here no matter what the offer was.

9. TennTradition

Oh yeah.

10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Bingo.

Thus the huge “offer”

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like Brohm.

12. TennTradition

I think I listed why I think he’d be a fine hire in another thread, but the hire is clearly not DDIAPOS or Butch level. He has an identity as a HC, learned a hell of a lot as an NFL backup, has seen a lot of professional and college programs to know what works organizationally and doesn’t work, he had been around enough and is a part of a coaching tree to give more flexibility in building staff, and given where he has always coached, likely has decent knowledge of the recruiting landscape of UT.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I wouldn't be thrilled but I'd let you guys talk me into it.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Coaches still available -

Kiffin (long shot, honestly)
    Miles
    Sumlin
    Brohm (maybe?)

Any of these guys would be light years ahead of Doeren.

TangoUniform likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They already offered dave Doeren. Why wouldn’t he take it? My punt team is on the field.

TangoUniform likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think a reset would help with any hire. No lame duck currie.

JayVols, gcbvol and tvolsfan like this.
  17. Savage Orange

As long as Currie and Haslam are pulling the strings, nobody is coming here. Somebody pointed out earlier that folks seem interested enough until they talk to Currie then they're out like shout.

JayVols likes this.
  18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, they're eventually gonna land one of these terrible coaches.

19. Savage Orange

Agreed but I do think he's a good coach and under any other circumstances I think he'd actually take the job. The Currie thing seems to be a common deal breaker for anyone we've spoken to.

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Circle the wagons and make Gruden say yes

MaconVol and tvolsfan like this.