Jabari McGhee

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, May 2, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Committed this morning. Hargrave kid. 6'8 225 pf. Had offers from Jr. and UGA in conference.

All things considered, at this poiny in the 14 recruiting game, a good get.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If Tyndall wants that guy but has reservations about Cofer, I have serious questions about what he is looking for.

3. Barack Obama

Barack Obama Guest

Uh, Tyndall recently took his entire staff to visit Cofer and is trying to convince him to take an official visit here

4. hatvol96

Uh, why didn't take that kind of aggressive stance initially? You know, when he had the player locked into an NLOI?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed, sorta. I think the release is just the right thing to do and a decent way to "good faith" try to win a kid and get buy in.

6. hatvol96

The right thing to do is to be prepared for the first conversation and not act as if talking to the player and his family is a burden.

7. Barack Obama

Barack Obama Guest

Kids love it when you force them to do something against their will, great philosophy

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Get your damn healthcare off me.

9. hatvol96

You just flat aren't very smart. The point, which those on the site with an IQ above room temp got, is that if you do your homework and work the kid properly in the initial conversation, you can avoid having to recruit the player all over. Simple concept.

10. Barack Obama

Barack Obama Guest

So is your point that Tyndall didn't recruit him properly or didn't want him. Because you first indicated the latter.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

absolutely

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the point was that Tyndall was unprepared to do anything but grant a release.

13. hatvol96

It's just that easy.

14. hatvol96

Correct. He just assumed everyone would want out and that he could get better players from the scraps left out there at this point. Cofer is an infinitely better prospect than McGhee.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he genuinely walked in with no idea what he was getting or what he was after.

16. hatvol96

Hard to know if you want a kid or not when you operate under preconceived notions.

17. hatvol96

In Cofer's case? Absolutely.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

looks like. the question is, how bad of a sign is this? Are we talking isolated mistake the first day on the job, or are we talking coach who doesn't know what he's doing?

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'll be disappointed if Cofer goes elsewhere but it's not like another bigger body would be a bad thing if both are landed. I admit to not knowing a thing about McGhee though.

20. Barack Obama

Barack Obama Guest

Hired on the 22nd
    Cofer says he wants to be released on the 24th

What exactly did you expect Tyndall to do in 2 days? (realistically he had much shorter than that)

I bet Cofer still ends up signing with Tennessee too