Johnny Majors

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Just a heads up, 105.1 in Chattanooga had an interview with Majors this afternoon(6/25). Johnny sounded pretty spry and took some shots at Fulmer. I thought it was interesting.

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Heard it as well. Pretty funny.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I hope that Majors and Fulmer need to reconcile. I doubt it happens, but you'd hope it'd be possible, someday.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Fulmer destroyed him. There shouldn't be a reconciliation.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would take some level of mea culpa from Fulmer. That seems unlikely.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That's exactly what it would take, and you are correct, it's not coming.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not sure I would beable to forgive Fulmer either if I was in that situation. If stories are true, and lean towards they are true, then Fulmer screwed Majors out of a job for his own gain.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yeah, but we won a national championship

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was messed up, but Majors didn't help himself either

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Somebody needs to write a book on all that happened. Could be a potentially great read.

11. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Majors should have been hired instead of Bill Battle when he was lobbying hard for the HC at the time and was only 34 at the time. Doug Dikey (left c out on purpose due to censoring) endorsed Battle at the time to replace him. He could have been one of the greatest coaches at UT with what he did at iowa State and Pitt during that same time. The rebuilding job took too long for Majors when he finally arrived and would have been fired much sooner than 1992 in today's times.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Don't disagree. I remember the sequence of events. I was a student during that time. Just mean in general if someone screwed me out of a job, don't think they'd ever get off my shit list.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Forgiven by many but not one lonely old drunk guy

14. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

No doubt Fulmer screwed him, but Majors didn't help himself out to make it a hard decision for the AD. Majors got drunk at a booseter's meeting and said his best years were at Pitt, he threw his contract extension back at Dikey during the offseason because it did not make him the highest paid coach in the SEC (but had the longest tenure), and alienated most of the players the last year there. So when Fulmer basically said me or him, and Fulmer went 3-0 with wins against FL & GA, it was an easy decision for the AD. Doesn't make it right, but it's what happened.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Was Fulmer saying one thing to Johnny and another to Dikey? If not, then no harm no foul. And it was time for Majors to go.

Now, if Fulmer was being all chummy with Johnny, saying "no, I would never go behind your back" all the while figuring out how to kick him to the curb, that would be something else. Still needed, but douchebaggery of the highest order.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's exactly what Fulmer wants ppl to believe what happened. I'm surprised you didn't mention the total nonsense story of Majors calling Dale Carter a ****** at the fiesta bowl.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer was chummy with Majors until the end

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Majors was an ass to people (not necessarily a bad thing), then losing to a pitiful South Carolina team after Fulmer beat UF and UGA made it easy to do.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That trifecta loss to Arkansas Alabama and South Carolina (he seemed to lose to any team in red) was horrible to watch.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://collegefootball.blog.ajc.com...jors-lane-kiffin-would-have-won-at-tennessee/

“Dooley treated me wonderfully well, but he didn’t get much done, to be frank with you. Kiffin would have won if he had stayed there, and there is no doubt about it. I know a lot of Tennessee people don’t like him, but he had a good reason to go to Southern Cal.”

Full disclaimer: Majors said he’s known Monte Kiffin — Lane’s dad — for more than 40 years and he was treated well by the family. “… I came back to the practice fields for the first time since (Tennessee) ran me off after the 1992 season,” he said.

“To be frank with you, Tennessee could have been 8-4 last year. They really blew the Florida game and the Georgia game. They outplayed Georgia but fumbled the ball on the 1-yard line, and that ended up being a touchdown for Georgia. Tennessee dominated Florida defensively, and that was probably the most subpar Florida team since before (Steve) Spurrier.”

“Well, to be honest with you, they wouldn’t be struggling these last eight or 10 years had they not run me out the back door. We had the three winningest years of my career in ’89, ’90 and ’91. We won a Cotton Bowl, won a Sugar Bowl and went to the Fiesta Bowl and lost to Penn State.