Jones sends 102 handwritten letters Stanton Truitt

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by volfanjo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sigh.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like dating women.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And the KB voicemail reference is made.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Had to complete the circle.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree. These kids expect lots of attention though.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hard to imagine what will ever stop this.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

As much as I hate regulation, I think the only thing that can stop it is the NCAA stepping in and limiting contact. Twitter and instagram are ridiclous. YOu have 500 sabs kissing the ass of these kids and they love it. The egos of these kids have to be out of control.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you regulate that? The NCAA has no real authority over Sab. He could start posing as any fan he wants to if he wants to get a school in trouble.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They can't control sab, unless the NCAA ban recruits from social media, which probably insn't legal. They can certainly stop a coach from sending 102 letters, texting a kid constantly (no limit for texting), or facebooking him constantly. I think that would go a long way. You currently have a system where the coach basicially lies to the recruit for a year, tells him he's great, a future nfl star, they key to his class, etc. Has to do this constantly to land the top recruits. And then when the player gets on the team the power completely reverses and a kid can't transfer even if the coach sold him a bill of goods.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think allowing kids more freedom to transfer would change the dynamic, now that you mention it.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Free agency

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Money would really start to change hands then

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only concern is you'd start seeing non bcs teams get poached by the big boys. you'd have to have some criteria to go by to eliminate the 1 year tranfer rule.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The problem is grown men on message boards who care about this stuff, tweet about it and so on. Semi-true, I think.

15. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

It's hard for me to imagine Jon Gruden doing something like this consistently - although I'm guessing he wouldn't have to in order to have equal success recruiting. Surprised Saban did this.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

This is what it takes to win. Im thrilled he is doing it.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

**** jon gruden

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Has anybody ever updated the why Gruden didn't come story?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

CardinalVol offered him a happy ending at a restaurant one night. The deal was dead in the water after that.

20. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Because he is a mulimillionaire with a cush job that doesn't want to be strapped by an ncaa rulebook while having to try to convince 18 yr olds to come play, then manage their lives and be a father figure to them for 4 years.
    I'm sure you will get other answers, but that one sums it up accurately.