Louisiana Gov. threatens to cancel LSU football

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

2. Savage Orange

I thought it was an Onion article at first, but apparently he's serious!

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There goes his chance at reelection.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He may get killed

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Political suicide.

LSU fans are psycho.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That was my first thought. Threatening LSU football in Louisiana wasn't his best idea.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Budget problems? I know, let's shut down the one thing that makes money!

8. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Call this fukckers bluff.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the school isn't able to run, there are no school athletics. LSU football making tens of millions that mostly goes to athletics doesn't offset a 900 million dollar budget shortfall.

This didn't happen overnight, this is a budget crisis that developed over the last decade. State universities have dramatically less funding from the actual states than they used to.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm thinking a lot of you didn't really read the article.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's just a moron politician arguing to raise taxes rather than cut costs.

12. Savage Orange

It's the students who worked hard for the past few years to get their degrees that I feel the worst for... Not that athletes can't also be stellar students but the rank and file folks that could quite possibly have a null and void degree are screwed... I feel pretty confident that this is a power play on the Governors part to get taxes raised, which will be a death knell to his reelection...

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's his hyperbole to rile the masses up to vote for his tax grab. All of them try a similar tactic. Sally Struthers with her bloated starving kid, if you will.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's a bluff to maximize pain instead of fixing the issue. While some tax hikes may very well be warranted you don't get a $1bn and subsequent $2bn shortfall overnight.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There aren't enough tax hikes to cover that kind of spread. If we don't come to some conclusion that curbs on spending are the only way to long term solvency, we'll bankrupt every public organization on earth. We've constantly proven that we overextend any level of govt receipts we can generate. Politicians are now built to do this. It's not a tax % issue.

16. Savage Orange

It'll never happen, but getting back on a gold standard would help solve a lot of this...

17. NorrisAlan

True, but shutting down football will not save the university any money. It will only cost it money because of enrollment drops. It is a demagogue attack to strike up fear.

Just like when local governentns run short on money the first thing they talk about stripping is stuff from k-12 education. They are not stupid.

18. NorrisAlan

I honestly have no idea why people believe this.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Capping the money supply given population and potential spend growth sound ludicrous. It would have to move toward some multiple of the gold on hand, which is essentially what the Fed is anyway.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Or the federal government closing parks and other public places to maximize public frustration