Lunardi

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Clearly an anti-semite.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Either there is some hidden stipulation that the Big Conferences get 4+ teams or the whole field of 64/8 is terribly, terribly watered down.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

We will lose again before the season is over, which should put us out.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

See my misplaced post in the Cuonzone thread.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it makes it all the more mind-boggling that there are human beings out there who want a 128-team field

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Agree 100 percent. The fact that simply making the tournament saves your job is just ridiculous. It's like rewarding a 7-5 football coach.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

i think it's more of an accomplishment than making a bowl. but the point stands

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Not sure. Roughly the same number of teams make bowl games as do the NCAA tournament. Now there are more NCAA basketball teams, but you can easily not ever sniff the top 25 and make the tournament every year.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same with bowls. Think about all the crappy bowls.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Isn't it like almost every football team with a winning record in a BCS conference makes a bowl of some kind?

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

How many automatic qualifiers are there?

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It's more of an accomplishment to make the tourney than a bowl. Not even a close call. There are I think 33 automatic bids. it could be a couple fewer, but that still only leaves 35ish at-large spots. And there are 350 D-1 CBB teams.

There are 123 CFB teams (I think...it's right around there). You have to really suck to not make a bowl.

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

That'a big 10 - 4.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

the sports are apples and oranges, but every year 8-10 SEC teams go to a bowl game. in a hell of a good year in basketball, 6 make the NCAA tournament, and the SEC hasn't seen that in several years.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So those guys are "bubble" teams.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

SEC gets 3 in.

UT wont be one of those 3.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UF, UK, Mizzou

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think Mizzou is the 3rd as well.

20. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Mizzou just lost to effin Alabama... Not sure how a bubble team recovers from that kind of loss this late - they likely lose to UGA at UGA and to us since we are at home.

Seems like only 2 teams should make it. Georgia or LSU could make a run here if they win out and maybe do well in SECT. Good chance UGA can win out, LSU would need to upset UF. Actually they play each other so probably one or the other. UGA will need to beat UK/UF in SECT to play themselves onto the bubble + win out. LSU could win out and not lose in first game of SECT and be in since that gives them a win over UF. I see Missouri with 2 more losses and us with at least 1 so I think those 2 teams end up missing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014