Memphis squeezing money out of Calipari, Rose

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Oct 12, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Threat of lawsuit brings bonus repayment from John Calipari, R.C. Johnson, donation from Derrick Rose »

I am not a huge Calipari fan, but the guy is made out to be this huge villain from one end of this state to the other. He's just a basketball coach like any other... Err... Well, he's just basketball coach that happens to be better than any other at some things.

I know that this is chump-change to him, but I really don't think he should have settled and given these ass-hats the satisfaction. It isn't Calipari's fault that the NCAA originally ruled Rose eligible, even if Rose's scores were not legitimate. And I don't think it is a stretch to say that if Calipari had not left Memphis, this wouldn't have happened. This is sour grapes, and is actually even more pathetic than the choruses of "cheater!" from some corners of the college basketball fan world.

He's good. He's in demand. Accept it, and keep it about events on the court.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Confused by this. Granted, exhausted and not thinking clearly, but... a few season ticket holders sued Calipari, Rose and Johnson for making their future season tickets worthless?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't the same claim be made by season ticket holders who see:

1. Coaches leaving for another program, after the tickets have been purchased.
    2. Loss of your "best" player, leaving fans apathetic, after tickets purchased?
    3. Bad season?

I mean, what the hell.

3. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

It would've gotten dismissed (right word?) in court. They settled just to shut everyone up.

I want to bash the Memphis fans for being idiotic in this case, but then I remember we threatened to eat Kiffin's babies...

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Threatened? We practically released a cookbook.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

This is an example of two incredibly wealthy guys throwing nickels to some nutjobs to make them go the hell away. It happens all the time. If they had requested compensation above what Cal and D Rose were willing to pay, they would have been annihilated in court.