MiLB Class Action against MLB for Unfair Wages

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Low Country Vol, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

A group of Minor league players were granted by a judge to sue MLB for wages that fell below minimum wage.
    Excerpts from article.
    "Minor-league baseball players, who are employees of their major-league organizations but not represented by the major-league players’ union, are forced to sign uniform, seven-year contracts once they are drafted. Depending on the level they play and years of service, many minor-leaguers make between $800 and $2,000 per month, which the lawsuit contends amounts to less than the U.S. federal minimum wage of $7.25 hour.
    League representatives have not been shy, however, about lobbying lawmakers in the U.S. to have minor-league baseball players classified as “seasonal” workers, which would exempt them from hourly wage laws."
    Trial Feb 2017

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They technically are "seasonal workers" but it's kind of shitty they don't take better care of the ones that never make it

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Do they put in that many hours? I honestly don't know. It seemed like Crash and Nuke had plenty of free time to screw the Susan Sarandon character in Bull Durham which is my authoritative source on the lives of minor league players.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

800 a month for a job that keeps you from working any other job is absolutely disgusting.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That there is an exemption for hourly wage laws for seasonal workers is similarly shameful. We just don't value humans after they hit puberty.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If only these people could go get another job, one that would support their desired lifestyle.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd honestly have no problem exempting baseball players from minimum wage laws. There's always real work.

Seasonal work in agriculture is a different animal to me. It serves a far more important role in society.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Another reason to get rid of the federal minimum wage and set it at the state level.

9. Low Country Vol

From May to August, where games are scheduled nearly every day, players arrive around 3 pm for a 7:15 pm game. During the time before games young players stretch, work on fundamentals, taking batting practice, run, throw bullpen sessions, and spend time in the trainer’s room. The typical game takes about three hours to complete. Following the game players often need further work in the trainer’s room, lift weights, shower and generally get ready to go back to their residence. Players are at work for a minimum of eight hours, often longer, for about twenty eight days a month during this 4 month stretch. I guarantee it's the most enjoyable times of their life.

There are some I know that spend the off season training at an athletic or baseball facility and charge anywhere 40-60 bucks an hour for private or group instruction to kids.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The price you pay for the opportunity to get to the bigs. They know the wages, they chose to play rather than go out and get another career.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It must have been hell on Pablo Sandoval.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He could've played at UT and gotten paid in tacos.

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I look at MiLB career guys like I do painters (art not trade). Chase your dream all you want but don't expect it to pay your bills.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Especially when you look at the numbers and see what a cash cow minor league baseball has become.

15. Low Country Vol

The Charleston Riverdogs, Single A affiliate for the Yankees, is a making a killing in tickets, merchandise, and concessions. Bill Murray is part owner and draws a big crowd when he is in town.

16. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I'm curious as to the overall picture, seems our teams here change locations and affiliations like I change underwear(every few years). Bang for your buck there isn't a better deal in town than AA baseball, but I would imagine the money making aspect is dependant on a reasonable lease of the park.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Eastbound and Down is a much better representation of the minors and Kenny Powers had plenty of time for strippers and blow.