Miracle at South Bend

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Watching this video

[video=youtube;oRhyQurPMYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhyQurPMYE[/video]

the #1 thing that strikes me this time is how freaking huge Jerome Bettis is in the backfield, back in those days. Bigger than our DL.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One of my first real memories of Tennessee football

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Was watching it in the living room of my mom's house with my girl friend (eventual wife) and my mother. When that field goal was missed/blocked, they were jumping around and hitting me so hard, I think I still have bruises.

Was a great time.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Bettis had some unreal genetics. Even guys now that list as 6'1 250 don't come close to matching his frame. Also, he is easily the quickest 250lber you'll ever see.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Same here.

Also the first time I ever remember hearing my parents, grandfather cuss. "**** Notre Dame" was forever implanted into my brain.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Second grade. I remember it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also remember a kid named Andrew, who was a Bama fan. Andrew was a dirty, scruffy kid. With a stupid looking bowl cut and ugly sweaters. Andrew said I was a liar and that my dad never went to the Middle East. **** Andrew.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Typical Bama fan

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I remember dad and I had something we had to do and were in Jackson driving around listening on radio. It was 31-7 and dad just shook his head as we went into some place for a late lunch (IIRC). We got back in, heard we scored before half, and came home. I came in and started watching at home by myself. When we blocked the field goal I went jumping nad screaming through the house and outside to where dad was working. He told me that they changed their minds and that the guy hit it after all. My 11 year old heart sank. He then grinned, laughed, and told me he was joking and gave me a high five.

10. nomojo

nomojo Member

I had friends who were at the game. They said they were hugging and being hugged by anyone wearing orange, whether they knew them or not.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was somewhere about Jackson with my mom and brother, and remember hearing John Ward's radio call "It's good!....No, no good! Tennessee wins!" and having my first heart attack at age 11.

12. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

watched it in reese hall with a huge vat of everclear and hawaiian punch - a little party in the dorm room.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

**** Zow!

14. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Was there. It was about 14 degrees before the game. I didn't wear a coat. They'd been talking all week about how it'd be too cold for us Southern boys. **** Notre Dame.

15. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

**** Notre Dame.