Money and coaches

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 14, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This should answer any questions about what the right hire will do for a program.

This is why you laugh at those that say Tennessee won't pay Dooley's buyout.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

After this year its pretty much chump change anyways. Would Gruden be as close to a Saban type hire as UT can get?

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I want to agree, but its going to be hard to convince people that Tennessee is willing to spend if we simply hire Kirby Smart this year.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just think you better be sure in your hire before you throw that kind of money. Saban was about as close to a sure thing as there is. I'm not sure Gruden is a sure thing as a college coach. Folks act like it's as simple as paying the money.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It really is as simple as paying for it, though

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

$alary $tructure

Can't remember if this was discussed here or not. Anyways, a new Lady Vols assistant coach is making more than either of the secondary hires. The entire UT coaching and support staff earns only 200K more than Saban, and the coaches earn 400K less. Pretty interesting (or d*mning).

7. JohnnyQuickkick

Except for when you pay it and don't get it right.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't insert 5 million bucks into a slot and receive a mystery prize. You go after the best coach for the job and pay him whatever he requires.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is Gruden that guy? Who would you like to see us go after? I think Stoops has to be on the list.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stoops is on the list. So is Gruden. I am not privy to an interview process that could determine the absolute number 1 target.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

I just think it's not always a slam dunk that the person you give the money to will work. Are there no questions about Gruden? I think that's possibly a high risk/high reward proposition. And Stoops hasn't done much outside the Big XII in a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us aim high. It just isn't as cut and dry simple as y'all act.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It isn't simple but starting out high with lots of $$$$ to spend is much better than aiming low with 2 million a year to spend.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

There are going to be questions with every hire. If you throw out 5 mill, you will get a high profile coach. It is something I don't think Hamilton understood.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed. Find the best and give him reasons to take the job instead of finding the first guy willing to move to Knoxville.

Bama got Saban because persistence and the will to spend. I don't expect a Saban quality hire, but I do expect Hart to hire the best guy available.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I really wish UM would have not got Hoke. I really think he would have been a slam dunk.