POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A logical argument and proof of existence, the same as always.

If I show you that people in the US military commandeered vehicles, that should be sufficient evidence. But I don't think I need to show that, because it's pretty basic knowledge.

And I get it, "commandeering" isn't "stealing." But it is. The US military doesn't punish, when done properly. (When done improperly, they do). But it's still taking property from someone else, against their will.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

so does an Iraqi submit a form to claim their vehicle, or...?

3. fl0at_

We alert our chain of command. They'll go through the proper channels to work everything out. They have license plates.

They usually get some reimbursement.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

upload_2021-7-31_8-25-46.png

A Professor of mine from college posted this on Facebook recently. I agree that not all points of view or equally valid, but this idea of "believe me because I have the word 'expert' next to my name" is terrifying to me. How about, "believe me because my evidence and data is strong and support my conclusion"?

5. fl0at_

Evidence and data is meant to be consumed by other experts, not laypersons. And it isn't "trust me, because I'm an expert," it is "trust the experts." Because the experts came together, shared data, shared evidence, made a conclusion based on that evidence, and worked toward a near consensus.

When experts in a field are overwhelmingly in support of an idea, their evidence and data has long been given as strong. They don't have to then defend that against every Johnny come lately. The burden is on the weakly defended side to prove their evidence and data is strong. And if they can't, it isn't "well, that's my opinion"... it's just garbage.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Take one red pill, not the whole bottle."

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I love malice.

I’m not on his anarchy train but he’s smart and a great troll.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think I share bret weinstein view about the trust the expert stuff.

That’s why open dialogue and free speech is so important.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m shocked you like him Norris he absolutely hates the corporate media and the cathedral in Washington.

he’s not wrong on that stuff though and that technology is forcing them to let the mask slip.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

His anarchy stuff is waaaaaay out there and I am shocked he believes in it. But he is smart as a whip and articulate and can back up his claims better than most.

Also, corporate media sucks ass because they are forced to cater to the lowest common denominator to make money, the all important thing in the world to America. Oh, and I hate money, too.

Washington is full of narcissistic asshats that are so out of touch with reality that they just flounder about, again, catering to the lowest common denominator.

However, both things have been true since the beginning of time and will always be true, until money no longer drives humanity. Which I am not sure, short of some incredible technological jump, that will ever be true.

11. fl0at_

What's the alternative to corporate media?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hanging out at McGhee Tyson on Periscope, waiting to see if Gruden lands.

13. fl0at_

I love how often everyone forgets that we're an economic system based on capitalism. Not altruism. Not charity-ism. Not communal-ism. Not society-ism.

Capitalism.

We don't hide our motives, as a society, anywhere, but in our minds. We're devoted to money. We put it right in our main philosophy. We're an ism, for capital.

Until we change that, we can't be more.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

And yet even daring to point this out is treated as sacrilegious... because the ruling god of America is money, posing as God.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Technology has made it incredibly easy for independent channels and will over take corporate media, if it hasn’t already.

you have a lot of online channels like the hill, breaking points, jimmy dore show, joe rogan, Tim pool, lex fridman, dark horse, and others that are killing it in that space.

I’d say the one place that traditional media beats them is live breaking stories, but they’re common enough, even in a huge country with 350ish million people.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think the corporatism and the cronyism are way bigger issues.

I think real capitalism is a winner but that’s not what we really have anymore. That’s why I hate the inflation tax so much.

the capital required to now even try to make it is so cost restrictive that it kills a lot of competitors and makes only where the big boys can play, and kills a lot of upstarts.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think power is the biggest god, but money with control is an offset of that

18. fl0at_

You're describing capitalism.

19. fl0at_

In what ways are these not corporate media?

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Cronyism isn’t capitalism.

it can spring from capitalism but isn’t capitalism or free market