NCAA Investigating Miami

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Jul 20, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Less than one week after the University of Miami hired Al Golden as coach, members of Golden's coaching staff began using Sean "Pee Wee" Allen – a then-equipment manager and onetime right-hand man of convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro – to circumvent NCAA rules in the recruiting of multiple Miami-area players, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

Golden, hired by Miami in mid-December 2010, had direct knowledge of Allen's improper involvement with Miami recruits, according to a former Hurricanes athletic department staffer and federal testimony given by Allen in Shapiro's bankruptcy case. Additionally, multiple sources interviewed by NCAA investigators have told Yahoo! Sports that Allen has become a focal point in the association's probe into Miami athletics. The sources said investigators focused on Allen's role in providing impermissible benefits to Hurricanes players, as well as his contact with Miami recruits.

Hurricanes coach Al Golden's staff used booster's associate in potential recruiting violations - Yahoo! Sports

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This has the potential to be truly devastating for them.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, but all this stuff seems petty after PSU.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will be years before the AA gets done investigating

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hope it's not true. I've proclaimed to the world what solid coach Al is. But nothing surprises me anymore.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The pressure to win is incredible these days.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If true, this will be the end of Miami as a nationally relevant program.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Truth, Hat. You just don't do this. Not after the heat that was already there.

9. hatvol96

Especially after you went to great pains to convince people Al Golden was the cleanest coach going.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Does seem incredibly stupid to employ an associate of Shapiro's. Hard to believe.

11. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I wonder if Charles Robinson gets death threats.

12. hatvol96

That's why I'll wait to pass judgment.

13. hatvol96

I'll give Yahoo! Sports credit. They are equal opportunity. No sacred cows for them.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So when do they go after Notre Dame?

16. WM

WM Active Member

When they stop sucking.