Next Saturday will be special

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Sep 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Next Saturday will feature two of the most historic and meaningful programs to the history of college football. The game will be the featured game on national television, pitting two 2-0 teams before a packed stadium. The last time these two teams played was the 1968 Orange Bowl, a close OU victory. The time before that, the Vols were winners, capping off their historic 1938 season.

We can talk strategy and scheme, and how we're outmanned and outgunned. But if this week doesn't get you excited, and slightly sentimental, then I don't know what will.

These are the games that make college football what it is. These games are why we watch.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I agree, jo. I'm really disappointed that my schedule didn't work out where I could make the trip.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not excited after how we looked today.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I don't think yesterday specifically should have any bearing on your feelings for next week. Am I worried about the running game and offensive playcalling? Yes. But this was a trap game. They've had their collective [Richards] sucked all over campus this past week, and it was a short week, as well. Was the game ever really in doubt? They scored the first with a ridiculously short field, as well.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Always excited.

GBFO and all dat

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is what college football is supposed to be.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, the game was never in doubt.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I just wish I could have made the trip to Norman

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I get paranoid when in flat land.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Feel like you are going to fall off the edge?

11. JayVols

Nope.

Just not.... Natural. Mountains are like a warm blanket. They're comforting. My peeps are mountain folks.

12. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Agreed Jay, flat land is unnatural

13. JayVols

One reason I have an ongoing love affair with several Caribbean islands. Not just beaches but amazingly beautiful turquoise water plus mountains. It's the best of both worlds, imho.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We were also playing a Sun Belt team. So, no, I'm not excited about our prospects against OU after that performance.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's great, but two of the greatest college programs in history are playing next Saturday. You should be excited to see it, regardless of the outcome. These kind of regular season match ups are dying out

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

All of this. Plus I'm ready to see all this young talent face off against equal, more experienced talent.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

These matchups won't be around much longer I'm afraid. Well said, jo.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Was it prior to the game? I've chalked this game as a loss when it was first scheduled.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I was a student and watched that 1968 game on TV and it was exciting. We were down a couple scores and came back but ran out of time and lost 26-24 OK in the '67 season Orange Bowl. We went in ranked #2 to OK's #3. A win would have given us the NC.

20. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Anyone know OU's all time wins?