Neyland Turf Causing Injuries?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Oct 11, 2015.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

There have been quite a few players go down with season ending injuries against us at home.

2015 Nick Chubb (Knee/Out for Season)
    2013 Keith Marshall (Knee/Out for Season)
    2013 Malcolm Mitchell (Knee/Out for Season)
    2012 Marcus Lattimore (Knee/Out for Season)

I'm sure there is more, but these are off the top of my head. Can anyone add to this list?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Lattimore was at jr.

3. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

If it was our turf per se, we should also see the same knee injury spikes.

But I will say this in general, our team is physically beating the hell out of our opponents. Every game, opposing players are limping and walking off slow.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Yeah.. we play on the same field.

Is kinda odd that folks seem to lose some key players when playing us, though..

5. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

More like Vols causing injuries...

Robert Edwards
    Lattimore
    Keith Marshall
    Scott Wesley
    Nick Chubb
    Jeff Driskell

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Andre Caldwell 2004 on a KO return got blasted by Ryan Karl and broke his femur on the opening play.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm very confident this isn't the turf. I was going to call the idea dumb, but I'll dial that back a bit.

A lot of these guys are not protecting themselves from unexpected hits, and getting caught turning or twisting with a foot deeply planted right as they get blasted by a defender. That's exactly what happened to Chubb.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Chubb's injury was one of the most freak things I've ever seen

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

My in-laws were blaming the turf last night and complaining about how bad it was. Then Chubb got hurt and it never stopped. They kept saying Tennessee needs to be held accountable...blah blah blah...they're UGA fans of course.

10. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Enjoy the next 365 days.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

In what way do they feel the turf is causing the injuries? They know it is natural grass, right?

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

They just kept saying how awful it was and how they always lose guys for the season when they play in Neyland...blah blah blah

You know, typical excuse making.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you bring up that they play Tennessee at about the midpoint of their season every year, and they run their backs like crazy? Every year they have some highly established "next Walker" back who we know is 60-80 % of their offense. What the **** to do they expect us to do, rock them to sleep?

14. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

GA fans have grown accustomed to having Moses be their QB and their O-line parting defenses like the Red Sea.

15. CardinalVol

It's probably also something involving that you can't tackle high anymore and have to go low.

16. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

This is a bigger factor than people think.

17. CardinalVol

When they first made targeting and such and emphasis, a few people said this was going to be the inevitable result.

18. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Would love to get OV's view on this as well.....Have heard numerous pro players state that they'd rather take their chances with a shot to the head than lose their "wheels" due to injury.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

A change in helmet design would help. Make the shell thinner and have a softer material outside so it isn't as effective of a "weapon." Radically change the fascemask design-- of course this would look different and thus "stupid," and aesthetics drives equipment design in football these days.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

it's a lawsuit nightmare too with companies.