NIT Will Be Putting New Rules Into Effect

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Mar 2, 2018.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

* The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    * The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    * The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter. [This is how NCAA women's basketball is done, just fyi]
    * The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds

The only one I'm unsure of is the lane widening. I like the rest for sure. And I might like the lane widening; I just need to think about it more.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not sure about the shot clock/offensive rebound one. Can live with the rest

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I like that one. It's consistent with the rule that you have to bring the ball past half court within 10 seconds. Basically, if the inbound shot clock is 20+10, then the possession-via-offensive-rebound shot clock should be just 20.