Offensive Line Recruits for '15?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Tenacious D, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Am I wrong to be sort of bewildered that Tennessee doesn't seem to be answering any questions along the o-line in the '15 class, in either quantity or quality, given how glaringly bad - and limiting - we were this season, and are almost certain to be, going forward?

In fact, is there a unit that is in worse need of a complete overhaul, than the offensive line?

I've been listening to and reading Basilio, who's wondering the same thing, as is "X". I'd go so far as to say that each may even be lightly hinting that something is particularly amiss, given our recruiting abilities in all other areas, thus far. The more they write and say it, I wonder if this is their way of wondering aloud if Mahoney is the reason we're struggling to get in on o-line recruits, given our perpetual ineptitude throughout the season.

Is Mahoney likely hurting and/or being used against us?

What's the best way to explain why we've not done more to address the o-line in this class?

Why haven't we scoured the JUCO ranks for some help? Maybe we have, but you can't tell me that there aren't at least 20+ JUCO o-linemen who would be upgrades, perhaps significant, to what we started this season - and who could be here and play immediately. So, why haven't we went stronger in that direction? And if we have, and I've just missed it (entirely possible), then why haven't we been more successful, in doing so?

The upgrades that Jones has caused to occur on the recruiting trail have been nothing short of phenomenal, but that makes our struggles in this area even more puzzling. And despite all of the talent he's brought in, my fear is that it's going to be largely wasted, if the o-line isn't significantly upgraded, too. You aren't going to build a consistently strong team with even an average o-line, much less the walking abortion that we suffered with throughout this season.

So, what am I missing here?

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

We have 4 Ol commits.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think we will be okay in the middle. Its the tackles that worry me.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe they're banking on Blair being ready to go at LT and one of either Jones/Kerbyson/Kendrick at RT.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chance Hall is a developmental project at T. He's recovering from a torn achilles.

Jack Jones could start day one at RT.

Boulware is a guard, most likely

Stewart is, imo, going to be a really good guard here.

If Blair turns a corner (which I don't expect) he's got everything you want in a LT. Kendrick is not a bad T option either. Kerbyson is a much better guard than tackle.

Of the OL on the roster, Robertson and Jackson are the best guards, Sanders and Weisman can be good guards, Thomas can hopefully be a better center than a tackle and Crowder is what he is. I don't expect Raulerson to be anything other than a body here.

6. Tenacious D

Of those, how many would be day-one starters on an average SEC line?

That's the number I'm most concerned with, because that's what we need.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this isn't a good place to be

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jack Jones is a realistic candidate to start from the time he steps foot on campus and will be a big upgrade at RT.

Realistically, there are about 10 freshmen OL per recruiting class that could start day one at play at an even average level and that's if you can surround them with talented upperclassmen. It's rare to have a true freshmen start on either line and perform well. I do think Tennessee has 2 defensive linemen that can play from day one.

9. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

I think if you find a tackle or two this line gets serviceable.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's a lot more to do with coaching than a talent problem. A good OL coach could get 5 guys playing at a fairly decent level with what's on the roster right now, not great but they should be able to pick up a defensive line twist.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Even if you can't physically block a guy you ought to be able to get in the way.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that this is as much a coaching issue as anything. We literally couldn't even get in the way of 3 rushers with 5 guys at times. Like, not even impede them.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

How many OL come in from HS and start immediately anyway? Robertson started out of necessity. I can think of only 5 stars who started right out of HS. Tunsil (Ole Miss), Robinson (Alabama), Theus (UGA)...that's 1 a year the past 3 seasons.

In saying this, I expect Jack Johnson to make a push at RT. Zach Stewart will be a good back up next season. Boulware is pretty dang good too.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

His smooth melodies and laid back sound should make him the obvious starter.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

We also have Tyree St. Louis on the board... 6'5 300 OT... He is visiting late in the game with his buddy Francois, the Dual Threat QB... Eggs seem to be in that basket...

17. Tenacious D

I don't disagree. But here we are.

Where's my LT coming from, even if RT gets squared away?

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe Blair will decide to take it. Not holding my breath.

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think they planned on Blair redshirting this season anyway. He's apparently been showing out in practice recently.

20. powert2523

powert2523 New Member

All eggs in the Drew Richmond and Pat Allen basket. Neither would've started day one anyway. IMO.