Ole Miss 2-27

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lyls i see the lapses, lack of boxing out by schofield late, losing his man on the nice slip, mental lapses regarding scouting.
    Ive also yet to see a college team play that doesnt have the same. No team is mistake free for 10 minutes, much less 40.
    We are 25-3. Saying the guys arent giving effort is a stretch. They are mentally and physically tired from giving effort.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Periodically I will [itch bay] about basketball rules and how they could make the game so much better with a few tweaks for these scenarios.

One of these rules is the way fouls are handled on loose balls/rebounds. The way the rule is currently written can absolutely ruin the ending of games. Our game against LSU is one example. Another was that absolutely horrendous Butler/Pitt game from 2011. Too much of late-game basketball happens at the line (and I've got a rant in my pocket about intentionally fouling to stop the clock as well). Now you can't totally eliminate that--if one team is trying to score and gets hacked, there has to be some kind of compensation. But if the ball is loose and both teams are going for it, and there ends up being contact, there is no reason that contact should put somebody on the FT line. Just treat it like an offensive foul. Count it as a personal, give the other team the ball. Don't put somebody on the line for a mad scramble at midcourt or an over-the-back.

The situation that convinced me of this was the Brian Williams' game-winner against UGA in 2011. Georgia fans thought it was over-the-back. But the referee had two choices: either count the basket and give UT the victory, or give Georgia two free throws and a chance to win the game without any defense. That's just silly. The ball was at Tennessee's end of the floor and wasn't in Georgia's possession--Georgia had no real chance to win in regulation, and there's no reason that they should be given a chance because of a bump on the rebound. Rather than choosing between awarding the victory to Tennessee or essentially awarding the victory to Georgia, the referee should have the choice between the actually logical options: count the basket or give Georgia the ball with a half-second left on the clock to see what they can do with it (essentially sending the game to OT).

I understand that there would be some complications here, but it would make the game so much better if a scramble for a rebound/loose ball didn't result in a march to one FT line or the other.

3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

The throwing shit was pretty much all students iirc. They had ¾ of the bottom as students. The length of the floor wasn't deep, but it was a long line of students. That is why it appeared rowdy. All the rowdy folks were court side.

The wall was a little weird, but I guess it was something to keep form putting in more seats that would normally sit vacant. The other end had an awkward opening.

I will say this. They had nice concession choices and prices.

Tenacious D likes this.