Packaged Plays Article

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 21, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

That was a great read, as is everything on Grantland. Very interesting, instead of a pre-snap read of the defense, it's a post-snap read of what a single defender is doing, he has to commit one way or the other. All it takes is a QB that can make the proper read more often than not. I'd love to see UT run some of this stuff.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Good I was about to accuse you of poaching

4. tripper

tripper Member

I wonder how you would employ this scheme with a vertical passing game.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not to toot the horn of the Bengals here, but Walsh was doing this with the Bengals and 49ers long before anyone took notice and decided to call it the "West Coast" offense. Obviously, this is not the West Coast proper, but the idea that plays are packaged and that reads could be made at the line of scrimmage by the QB is not new. When Sam Wyche went no huddle it was predicated on this notion, among others.

What's different is how pervasive this has become. I saw a high school team do it Friday night.

6. CardinalVol

Big difference is what Walsh did and what this does is that this offense reads what the defense does after the snap, not a pre-read. That is what is "revolutionary" about it.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A stout defensive line negates this. It doesn't matter what the LB does if the DL is getting penetration.

Montori Hughes single handedly blew up the Oregon O the first quarter of that game.

Now, how many athletic 300 lb people are there in the world? I think they all play for LSU and Alabama.

8. CardinalVol

Yup, that point was also raised by JQK. I don't care what you run, in college, if you have a dominant DL, it doesn't matter.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

A stout defensive line negates nearly everything.

10. kidbourbon

Sorta does seem that way.

11. kidbourbon

I thought that article was really good. I like that Chris Brown fella. No no, not the one that beat up Rihanna.

12. kidbourbon

The trouble there is that the vertical passing game requires a beat or two of a wait before the pass gets thrown. You could still execute the stuff they discussed in the article that was done with Blackmon; the only difference is that rather than getting rid of the ball immediately, the QB would have to be prepared to do a hop hop before slinging it.