Passing Game in 2012

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Aug 5, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Good write-up. I think UT definitely has the potential to be one of the scariest offenses in the conference this year. With the three-headed monster at WR and Rivera at TE, if UT can just find some semblance of a running game, the passing game should flourish.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

One would think you'd see quite a few 6 man fronts. Would like to think running the ball would be doable. Hope they can execute the 3rd-and-1s. This kind of offense doesn't seem to lend itself to that well.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A lot hinges on Stone's new snapping technique. And, of course, how much of an impact Pittman and Graham have.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The ambidextrous technique?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Whatever they figure out, so long as Bray isn't doing a toe touch before every pass out of shotgun.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't like to think about running the ball. Not with our personnel. What would be the point? To prove how big our c0cks are?

I think we should set up the passing game with the short passing game. The objective on every single play of every single drive in every single game should be to move the ball down the field via Tyler's Bray's right arm. Running plays should only be used as constraint plays when it is necessary to do so.

Why Every Team Should Apply the Constraint Theory of Offense | Smart Football

8. kidbourbon

Good write-up. I'm a bit more optimistic than you, though. Why wouldn't our offense this season be similar in production to, say, Arkansas's last year? I think we can and should hang 40 on every team but Bama and possibly UGA. Ahh, funk it, let's hang 40 on them too. We have the best receivers in the country and arguably the best QB. It should be our offense dictating things from the get go, and them scrambling around looking confused. We shoudln't be figuring out how to scheme around the strenghts and weaknesses of the various SEC defenses. WE should simply have Tyler Bray throw the ball 70 yards downfield to Justin Hunter in the first series of every game. And then after it works, make note of what the defense does to try to prevent that from happening again. But then ignoring whatever they just did and again throwing the ball 70 yards downfield to Justin Hunter. If it doesnt' work, pick up a first down with a fifteen yard completion to Rogers. And then throw it 70 yards downfield on the play after that.

Rinse. Lather. Repat.

9. kidbourbon

This was essentially the offense in the second half of the 2010 season when we were actually winning games. Seemingly every play was a 50 yard pass to Denarius or Hunter.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So KB has joined the posivol crowd? lol we are going soft!

11. kidbourbon

Well there is no bigger fan of Tyler Bray than yours truly. And this has been the case since that South Carolina game where he got his first significant action. It was a single play* that I saw -- the flick-of-the-wrist pass thrown downfield under quite a bit of duress, that happened to travel 40 yards in the air and hit Denarius Moore right in the hands -- and I was 100% on board. As good as people realize he is, I don't think people realize how good he is. And because I think -- I know -- Tyler is realer than real deal holyfield, I can't help but be somewhat optimistic about the offense.

*I'm a firm believer that a single play -- not every single play, but a single play -- can tell you everything you need to know about a player. And f

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We have 3 great receivers and a good QB, same as Arky last year. We don't have Petrino or a running game. It'll be hard to match what they did last year.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That was a ridiculous throw.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Don't disagree. We shouldn't be hanging the hat on running the ball with this bunch. But there are times when it is necessary. Constraint plays, first and goal from the 4, 3rd and 1. It gets a lot tougher to score through the air when you get close to the goal line, and having a good running game only makes Bray and the WRs more effective.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Especially when your plan is chuck it deep to #11.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For some reason i think the running game will be much more effective this year. Not that i think we are going to produce as 1k rusher or anything but that it will be effective when need be.

I guess i have that much confidence on what a good rb coach can do, and i think Graham is a good one.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I have been thinking the same - much better coaching here should have a positive impact. I don't think the running game will necessarily be 'very good' or even 'good' often, but effective I think. Of course the OL will say a lot about how effective the running game is too, ultimately, and for some reason (maybe my own stupidity) I think we will be improved here as well.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's kinda funny. We could see tremendous improvement from last year in the running game and still be average. That's probably enough to make a big difference, though.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think an average running game would make this offense close to unstoppable.

I mean, let's face it, the majority of the issues of the run game lie at the feet of the O-line, but there have been plenty of times the last two years where a hole was there and our back didn't hit it. I know a lot of it is just natural ability, but I've got to think having a pretty good RB coach back there will help fix that.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I agree, I'm getting excited about this year.