Pitt thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 10, 2022.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tillman and Hooker had their worst games as Vols

Tyler Baron had his best game as a Vol

Why is Byron Young in zone coverage? He's your best pass rusher

Roman Harrison is fun to watch, he's going to give you 100% every snap.

It's okay to run the ball

Bru McCoy needs more targets

Flowers has a great pick, gets burnt then seals the game with a sack, pretty good description of his career here

Defensively, Tennessee bowed up and played well. I like injuring two QBs

This is Heupel's worst game offensively here, hopefully we won't see it again. There was no rhythm to a timing offense

A win is a win, even if it's an ugly one.

OneForVol, CitrusCo.Vol and A-Smith like this.
  2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

When we get off rhythm on first down we look completely lost the rest of the drive. I’m very concerned about that.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The other thoughts thread is better

CardinalVol likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Rythm also seems to get [uck fay]ed across drives. As bad as it was 3 plays kept if from being 3+ scores, but we have to fix that.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stupid ass penalties do it too

TDVol1989 likes this.
  6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Better offense, Ball State or Pitt 2nd half

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I thought a few of them was going to cost us tonight.

8. Ssmiff

I don’t think I’ve seen us pressure like we did tonight or have as many batted balls. Got to get better play from dbs when the qb has to get the ball out. Safeties hardly ever see right there to break it up. Wrs catch the ball 10 yards in front of them. Is that our DC bend but don’t break keep it in front of you?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hard to say 9 catches for 162 yds and a TD is someone’s “worst” game. He did have some drops, though.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Meant to mention I think the turf affected us mentally in q1. We had several slips, including Ced. Wondered if we had the wrong cleats

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee blitzed a lot and Pitt was down two linemen. Young didn't go after the qb enough

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He dropped as many as he caught, he played like shit. Now, it's a credit to him that a 9 catch game is considered bad

OneForVol likes this.
  13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Putting your best rush end in coverage was dumb when Butch did it with Barnett and it's just as dumb when we did it with Young.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnett deciding to man up on an uncovered TAMU receiver and then running step for step with him and breaking up the pass was badass but yes, I agree

utvol0427 likes this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'll try not to restate what's already been said but here are my thoughts...

1. Tyler Baron needs to play inside on passing downs.

2. This defense plays it's best when it's forced to be uber aggressive. That isn't just a today thing either. Maybe it's glass half full/empty but as well as Banks adjusts, whatever preparation he does leading into a game isn't worth a damn.

3. Heupel's offense is what it is but the way he makes his next step is when he can incorporate the taking advantage of mismatches that superior talent gives him. That isn't a thing right now and I believe is probably foreign to the way his system is designed. Saying all that, I'm sure that's something he's well aware of and is already devising.

4. We are in better condition than anyone else in football.

5. Hendon Hooker took a HUGE step tonight as a QB. The OT TD pass..... That was him breaking the restrains which comes with being in a system and trusting his instincts as a QB to find his money man down field. It may seem small but that was big.

Memtownvol and chavisut like this.
  16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

1. For as much as I’ve worried about this defense being a liability, and still might be…. They won this game today. That is something I didn’t think I would be able to say about this team.

2. At least we aren’t Texas A&M. An ugly win beats a loss 8 days out of the week.

17. Ssmiff

Pitt was 3/18 on 3rd downs.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And 3/4 on 4th downs of less than 20 yards, which is why it went to OT, but still…huge improvement.