Players leaving early question.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

What can (or should) be done about players who leave early and either end up drafted very low or not at all? There are something like 90 players leaving early for the draft and my bet is that half of them don't get taken until 4th round or later. Several won't get taken at all. I can't imagine they don't all think they're going in the first three rounds, otherwise why come out at all. Bad information is leading these kids to make disastrous decisions. There ought to be an NCAA eligibility waiver for guys that don't get selected at all to come back to college but the nuts and bolts of that would be mighty complicated. If you leave early and get selected in the last round, you're screwed. Better make the team is all I can say because if it doesn't work out and you find yourself with a newfound love of education you'll be going back on your own nickel, provided you have one to begin with....

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Canadian Football League.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NFL and NBA should set up minor leagues just like the MLB has. IMHO.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I see no problem with the current system. If you are not comfortable with the prospect of going undrafted, don't leave early.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Canadian Football League

6. Savage Orange

I suppose, but somebody's getting in the ears of these kids and convincing them they're way better than they are... The OL from Arkansas has NO business at all coming out but because some publication list him as a potential first rounder he gets dollar signs in his eyes... I get that that's on him but still....

7. Savage Orange

Denver Kirkland was who I was trying to think of. Needs to stay.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

How many people actually improve their draft stock by multiple rounds by coming back for their senior seasons? I'm not sure there are that many. If your star hasn't shone by your Junior year, is anything really going to change? I'm sure a few counter-examples can be cited, but teams are mainly making decisions based on measurables and projections anyway. I don't think there is the huge wave of kids that have wrecked their lives by coming out early.

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

This.

10. Savage Orange

Worked out pretty good for Reggie Ragland...

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Robert Meachem was draft eligible after the 2005 season, then turned into a 1st rounder. He did leave after his redshirt junior year

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Family members

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The nfl isn't going to touch that with the concussion stuff

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The NBA has a minor league.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Do they have to go to school one year to be drafted though?

16. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

You just have to be out of high school for a year. You can spend that year in the D-League or overseas if you want to

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Why buy a cow when your milk is free?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yup.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Peyton Barber at Auburn is a good example. Had a 1,000 yard year but will be a backup next year. Plenty of guys go knowing good and well they may not go until late or at all.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Don't sign with an agent, don't accept any benefits - I don't see the harm in allowing a kid who doesn't like where he's draft to return to school.

Would put a considerable amount of leverage back with the player.