Playoff Picture (November 6, 2022)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 6, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I’m the complete opposite. With only four teams, being a conference champion should have no bearing on a team making the playoffs as you can easily have two of the top four teams being in the same division/conference. A team with the resume that we have shouldn’t be left out because a TCU goes 12-0 against a schedule full of teams that would struggle to go .500 in the SEC. It should be the four best teams that make it and, honestly, you could make a strong argument that those four teams are in two divisions this year.

Once it goes to 12 teams, they can start giving conference champions from shit conferences an undeserved automatic bid.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All fears and superstitions have been broken this year. If we end up in the Sugar Bowl, so be it, but hot damn we were in play.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Take an acc or pac 12 conf champion, if they played LSU, bama, Ga, ole miss, UT, what would their expected record be? Best 4 should make it in based off who they beat, who they lost to and sos.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

This year will be the reason playoffs expand next season

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tcu looked like Bo Nix auburn to me.

OneForVol likes this.
  6. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

Feels like we need 2 teams out of TCU/Clemson/USC to lose another game for us to get in.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

USC at 6th (coaches poll) while Clemson is 9 makes no sense. Same record and Clemson has a better resume.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There’s no way they put Clemson in over us.

OneForVol likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There’s no guarantee LSU goes over us, even if they beat Georgia. We beat the [uck fay] out of them at their place, and we have less losses.

OneForVol likes this.
  10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I was just coming to postulate that. It is a very interesting quandary. 3 teams that beat each other. Personally I think that FSU loss should be the deciding factor. But who knows what would happen

11. TDVol1989

I don’t feel comfortable in the decision making process. It’s just better for TCU and USC to lose. Ga beat LSU. Have Ga, OhSt, TN in and let Mich/TCU/Clemson sweat out 4th.

I haven’t seen much of Michigan but I watched Saturday. Unless OhSt blows them out it should be a Big10 / SEC tournament.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Michigan's AD is on the "committee." How is that at all fair or acceptable?

13. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’ve sort of started to mentally prepare to get screwed out of this thing.

utvol0427 likes this.
  14. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

If there’s a millimeter of daylight for them to justify leaving us out they’ll take it.

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  15. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Here will be the "reasons" LSU belongs in - the media driven talking points. Imagine this in Kirk Herbstreit's voice for full effect:

1. LSU beat UGA who was the best team in the SEC East and the #1 team in the country. Tennessee didn't beat UGA. (Ignore TN beat LSU)

2. Well LSU "may" have 2 losses - and one of them may have been to Tennessee - but you know they've now won SEVEN in a row! And they beat Ole Miss, Alabama, and Georgia during that winning streak. Their loss to FSU was in the opening game of the year on a missed kick.

3. Tennessee didn't play in the conference title game. Doesn't an LSU team that BEAT the team that UT lost to not deserve to be in the CFB Playoff as the SEC champions?

4. The SEC really screwed over LSU by making their game against Tennessee a noon kickoff. Everyone knows that game would have been much different if it had been a hostile Baton Rouge night game.

5. Tennessee over the last few weeks of the season played some really weak teams in Missouri, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. LSU was going out there every week after that Tennessee loss playing like every week was a playoff game. They knew they had no margin for error and did exactly what they needed to do to be in this conversation. LSU not making it into the CFB playoff as the SEC Conference Champion would be a complete travesty.

That's what they'll say.........

16. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

FYI this is the biggest disaster scenario left on the table and very unlikely but in theory could happen

Michigan 13-0 (beats OSU by 1-7 points)
    TCU - 13-0
    UGA - 12-1 (loss to LSU in SECCG)
    USC - 12-1 (Pac 12 Conference Champion)
    Clemson 12-1 (ACC Conference Champion)
    OSU 11-1 (only loss to undefeated Michigan)
    Tennessee 11-1 (only loss to SEC runner-up UGA)
    LSU - 11-2 (losses to FSU/TN but SEC Champs)

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

18. TDVol1989

We have several things that can happen to break our way. I would like to think some of them will.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

TCU still has 3 losable games, USC still has 3 losable games, Michigan and Ohio State are guaranteed a loss between them, there is nothing Clemson or UNC could do to beat the resume of an 11-1 UT.

A-Smith, TDVol1989 and OneForVol like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also Clemson and UNC have to play each other in the conference championship.