Postseason landscape

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 4, 2023.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

We are one game in, so yes this thread is equal parts preposterous and premature.

HOWEVER- the SEC going 1-3 against Power 5 teams is not typical and it does already give a slant to the critical paths that are forming for the playoff.

• At this early point, the ACC now has a strong argument for a bid if they produce a 1-loss team (UNC over SCar, FSU over LSU).
    • Until shown otherwise, I assume the SEC champion and the Big 10 champion are taking bids.
    • The Pac-12 looks very deep and strong. If they produce a 1-loss team, they are certainly in.
    This means a second bid for the SEC is already less likely than in previous years. Not saying it isn't happening, but the argument of a strong showing against the other P5 teams has sailed. It will be muddy at best.

It is pretty much all or nothing in terms of winning the East and SEC, to make the playoffs. At least that is how it looks now, after one week of play. And I would point to last year as evidence of that because like it or not (and we can never know), Tennessee may have been left out even if they came back to win against South Carolina despite beating the top two SEC West teams.

Can Tennessee drop a game? Yes. But it has to win the East so it likely can't be against Georgia.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If the only game they drop ended up being the game vs UGA I think 11-1 gives them a great shot at the 4 seed. Although I could see the loser of the Michigan-Buckeye game getting preferential treatment because we somehow never have “our people” on these post season committees.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right, I am saying Tennessee would be behind the champions of the 4 other conferences with an equal record, and then it would be a popularity contest between any 1 loss non-champions that the Vols may not win.

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I have a feeling the powers that be are going to do everything to try and squeeze and ACC team into the playoffs. clemson being ranked ahead of us preseason furthers my suspicion.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The powers don't have to do shit at this point. USC and LSU gives the ACC the benefit of the doubt from here on. Just need at least one team to finish with no more than 1 loss.

6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Unless USC and LSU completely implode and both have losing seasons. But at this point, yeah.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think it's too early to say too much about it, but I think one-loss conference champs should get in over one-loss runners up generally speaking.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Won't matter, they'll just look at that conference head to head.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I agree.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think the Pac-12 has a real chance to cannibalize itself—there are a whole lot of top 20ish teams in that conference and no clear national title contender. They’ll probably produce a one-loss regular season champ, but 50/50 whether that team wins the conference championship game.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, USC... Ya, they may chip each other up.