POLITICS Prager: Why Trump Won

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This makes good & reasonable sense to me, in explaining it, in a simplistic way.

While I wonder what it looks like, and have doubts about our ability to find and ensure for it, there is a way - numerous ways - forward, for everyone.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

About two months ago, my mother said something that shocked me: she thought Trump was doing a great job and she voted for him. My father, well, I expected this from him, but my mother? It absolutely shook me to my core.

I generally avoid talking politics with my family, as my father is a bit of a nutbag, and I say that lovingly as his son. He believes a lot of crap he reads on his Facebook page or on some super-right blog. My mother, on the other hand, always seemed rather rational and centrist. So when she said she loved what he was doing, she may as well as hit me over the head with a shovel.

So I decided to sit them both down and ask them why they liked Trump, and that I would just listen and not inject any conversation, just listen.

I wish I had a recording of the talk we had, because I am afraid that my memory is not that great and I worry I will be putting words into their mouth, so take everything I repeat here as a rough approximation.

The biggest issue they have is immigration and "political correctness" being imposed on their lives. They are both abhorred by his complete lack of tact and his inability to shut the [uck fay] up, but swallow this bitter pill because they think his other messages are good ones.

We mostly talked about PC, because that was something that they both thought was ruining our country. Someone can say "I am not comfortable around queers" and suddenly they lose their job, their show is cancelled, their sponsors are pulled, etc. Immigration of course, are the standard coming in and taking our money, etc.

But when I distilled it all down, it came down to one thing: change. Being retired, they were not personally concerned about the job situation described in the video. Which is why it is impossible to pin Trump's ascension down to one or two bullet points. I believe he rode a wave of discontent and made a bunch of slogans that resonated with people that were struggling in the new America.

3. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I honestly think that's how most Trump supporters feel.

.. Congress should pass a bill that makes it wholly illegal for the POTUS to have a twatter account... or any social media account... at all. (and hopefully, the POTUS would sign that into law).

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

identity politics is coming home to roost.

We just can't have open dialog and talk about issues any more. Someone has to be the bad guy and it sure as [uck fay] isn't me, so you have to be evil if you think different than me.

We're a society based on having strong individuals and you get that by strong families and sadly that's becoming very rare.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't know it's change per se, or more change and being told to shut up and like it.

warhammer, tvolsfan and Volst53 like this.
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well the last guy won in a landslide doing that, so it seems to be a smart strategy.

justingroves likes this.
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He'd Tweeto it.

gcbvol likes this.
  8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think this is spot on. And not only change, but pace of change. Perhaps it's technology increasing awareness, but I think we've sped up. A much higher percentage of folks are uncomfortable with change than those who are, so when there is less time to adjust before the next wave it creates a lot of stress and corresponding resistance. I get it.

9. NorrisAlan

If Trump didn't have Twitter or whatever, he would just do a daily hour long spot on Fox News every day. Then call up at random times.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What if he could conduct all Presidential business via Twitter? Just set an iPad up in the Capital Building and let him tweet in the State of the Union. Why waste expensive jet fuel to send him to Europe for some summit when he could just tweet "It's my way or the highway, [itch bay]es #MAGA"?

11. NorrisAlan

I believe he would actually prefer this.

12. cpninja

cpninja Member

Two of the things people dislike the most are 1. Change and 2. Being told that they are in the wrong. "Political correctness" combines both