Pre-Season Rankings

Discussion in 'Sports' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Aug 3, 2012.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The initial rankings are out and of course there are a few head scratchers. No surprise the Vols are in the "Other" group with 3 votes. Are Georgia and S.Carolina really that strong this year? For the record, I'm not a fan of pre-season rankings, but here you go:

1 LSU (18) 0-0 1403 2
    2 Alabama (20) 0-0 1399 1
    3 USC (19) 0-0 1388 NR
    4 Oklahoma 0-0 1276 15
    5 Oregon 0-0 1258 4
    6 Georgia 0-0 1061 20
    7 Florida State 0-0 1055 23
    8 Michigan 0-0 1023 9
    9 South Carolina 0-0 981 8
    10 Arkansas 0-0 948 5
    11 West Virginia 0-0 833 18
    12 Wisconsin 0-0 743 11
    13 Michigan State 0-0 717 10
    14 Clemson 0-0 598 22
    15 Texas 0-0 549 NR
    16 Nebraska 0-0 501 24
    17 TCU 0-0 499 13
    18 Stanford 0-0 497 7
    19 Oklahoma State 0-0 476 3
    20 Virginia Tech 0-0 461 17
    21 Kansas State 0-0 398 16
    22 Boise State 0-0 271 6
    23 Florida 0-0 250 NR
    24 Notre Dame 0-0 166 NR
    25 Auburn 0-0 66 NR

Others receiving votes: Washington 64, Louisville 46, Georgia Tech 35, Cincinnati 32, Texas A&M 28, Baylor 23, Utah 22, Mississippi State 21, SOUFLA 12, NCSTATE 11, Louisiana Tech 10, Brigham Young 10, Virginia 9, Houston 7, Southern Miss 6, Rutgers 5, UCF 5, Tennessee 3, Missouri 3, FLAINTL 3, Northern Illinois 2, TEXASTECH 1

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If UGA finishes that high it will be a result of an insanely weak schedule a la 2007.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I wasn't aware they were thought of as being that strong. I can't lie, seeing them that high had me thinking there was a possibility the Vols would be in the top 25.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think they returned a lot of starters. However, their best WR moved to defense, Orson Charles went pro, and their RB got the boot.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't really understand it. The OL for them is incredibly thin, the best WR is now a CB and they are starting the season with a lot of starters suspended (I think 2 DBs and at least one LB). Crowell is gone and is being replaced by more freshmen.

Their front seven is stout though.

USCe should probably be the favorite to win the East because of how they finished up last season without Lattimore. With Lattimore, even at 85%, they're a dangerous team. Jeffery all but disappeared last season, so his leaving isn't too big a deal. They found a few RBs on that roster other than Lattimore last season and that's a good thing. If Shaw doesn't turn the ball over, they'll be good.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

They have the best coach in the East and probably the best defense. They'd be the favorites to me.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the best defense title is splitting hairs between UF, UGA and USCe. All three control the LOS very well.

UGA and USCe have elite pass rushers too, I guess that separates them from UF.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No way will Stanford finish the season ranked. Nor washington either (6-6 team). As i said in the other thread I don't get this hype that LSU is all of a sudden going to have a passing game.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think people are thinking it can't be worse than last season.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

My thinking about LSU has been that if Mettenberger is going to all of a sudden spark their passing game, why in the world was he not the starter last year, because Jefferson and Lee are putrid passers?

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I see South Carolina as the favorite in the East. I think that Georgia will not live up to expectations this year. I think UF has another 7-5 or so year. I think Vandy falls off some from last year. UK is UK, Missouri will struggle down the stretch as they get wore down by SEC competition. I think 2nd place in the division comes down between Tennessee and Georgia, with UGA probably having the upper hand.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Miles law...

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's the thing about UGA: they have a stupidly easy schedule. They'll likely be 4-0 when they roll into Knoxville.

They could go 10-2 or 9-3 and suck to high heaven. If UT wants even a shot at the East, they have to beat them head to head.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's hard to believe UGA is even in the SEC. They never play anyone. Spurrier's complaint was completely legit.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

UGA's defense is going to be nasty this year. The offense may only need to score 20 a game to win.

16. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I believe UGA will win the East simply because of their schedule. No Alabam, LSU, or Arkansas. Conversely, we have UGA, @LSU, @UF, UT, and Arkansas all in consecutive weeks. That is going to be a tough stretch. We will be fortunate to win three of those, imo.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I tend to agree. SC got royally screwed last year and it looks likely to happen again.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

So what's it going to take for the Vols to crack the top 25? Being 3-0 with a win over Florida?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If not then, then the following week we'd be 4-0 after Akron. I'd say we would get in the polls.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think we've been out of it for so long it will take some serious work to get back in. I remember the days of not thinking twice about being in the top 25...seems so long ago.