Predicting October...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Let's go with conventional wisdom and say the best that can happen to us the rest of October is to make it out of the month 2-2. Give a stat that assures said outcome and assume there are no serious injuries. I'll go first:

If we rush for more than 600 yards in October we will go 2-2.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I really hope we get through LSU and Bama without serious injuries. I'd love 2-2, but I couldn't be too upset with 1-3 if we don't get beaten up too much.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm afraid we'll have to run for 500 against UGa and USCe to run for 600 in October even counting the 199 from yesterday. I would be ecstatic with 2-2. OK with 1-3.

I'll throw out forcing 6 turnovers will get us the 2-2.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Chaney showed yesterday that they are going to have to get creative in running the football. They showed a host of different looks yesterday -- stretch, traps, end arounds -- that take advantage of our size/speed deficiencies.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think one different look they could throw out there would be Poole cutting to the left sometime.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

After watching Bama just beat the piss out of Florida in the second half, I'd be fine with Bray sitting that one out so Simms can get mauled.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It sounds bad, but I'd rather have Bray be healthy for the last 5 games than get beaten down anyways and have him hurt.

I'm not actually advocating he sits, by the way.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Said we'd split Florida, UGA, LSU and SC. Not changing it now so I'm going with 2-2.

UGA and SC probably. LSU is becoming less and less likely the more I watch them.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'm going full homer as well, and predict 2-2.

0-4 may be just as likely, but there's plenty of reason to think that Tennessee can muster a couple of home victories over Georgia and South Carolina.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

UGA has beaten a 1-AA team, and the Mississippi schools, with the stronger of those two at home.

Granted, we've not done anything to pound our chest about wither (although I'd call the Cinnci game more impressive than any of their wins), but I have to think we've got a good shot, especially with the game being at home.

As for SC, I don't know what to think about them. Lattimore can only carry them so far. I don't know if I have ever watched a QB be as relevant for so long that is as bad as Garcia.

I'm also close to moving Arkansas to the fringe of the "maybe" category.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm down for a homer 2-2.

By the way, just thought I'd mention that this has been a sign on our wall at work for months. God only knows how much productivity it's promoted:

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

4-0..........................

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I put Arky in the winnable category about two weeks ago, and it's just as much based on what I've seen from Arky as it is what I've seen from UT. Between UGA, USCe, and Arky I still fully believe 2-1 is well within reach. Losses to LSU and Bama seem a given to me. MTSU, UK and Vandy are all wins. UK is flat out terrible.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is obvious, but 2-2 is out of the question if we lose Saturday.

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

fosho ip

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Otherwise we'd have to rename the month... Shoctober.