Remaining Schedule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Look at you!

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I was trying to come up with a way in my head how Pruitt could salvage anything. He has to bring in a great recruiting class next year, period. I'm afraid though that us going 2-10 or 3-9 would do the damage needed to dismantle it unless Pruitt is some type of wizard.

I looked at the remaining schedule and honestly feel like that the only way he can claw out of this is one of two ways..........

1. Beat either Georgia or Alabama - I have just about as good of a chance of landing in a threesome with Margot Robbie and Chrissy Teigen. Soooo......

2. Go bowling which means 5 of 6 against the rest.

At first, I thought it was do-able. Maybe it still could be without JG under center but it's a big uphill battle. I mean losing to Georgia State was inexcusable. They sit at 2-2 with their other win over Furman. Ga State was maimed 57-10 by Western Michigan who sits at 2-2 with their other win over Monmouth. Ga State lost this weekend to Texas State, which was Texas State's only win so far this year. BYU stands at 2-2 also. This weekend they got trampled 45-19 by Washington.

It's just not a good situation no matter which way you cut it. Either Pruitt somehow hangs on to the recruiting class and makes some type of improvement next season despite a much tougher schedule. Or, he loses the class, we finish at the bottom of the SEC East, and we have the biggest mess you could imagine. Because at that point IMO you have to fire him. IF he loses a great recruiting class keeping him in 2020 would be just delaying the inevitable.

Either way, I'm really just tired of being the doormat of the SEC. Hell, the way we are playing we might be the doormat of the MAC.

lylsmorr likes this.
  3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Does 3-9 get Pruitt fired ? Because that seems like best case to me and I think that is a stretch.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I honestly fear we at best are going 2-10. Right now, I don't see a single SEC win, and hell, UAB might beat us and leave us at 1-11.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maurer can win a few games on this schedule

6. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

And it's past time to make the change. There's no excuse to continue doing what we know won't work.

justingroves likes this.
  7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Maurer at least gives another dimension to an offense that needs it. He can pull and run much better than Guarantano, making the defense respect the run game more.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but he can he turn swing passes into laterals?

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

My favorite thing that he brings is guts.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

vandy, uab, ky, SC and ms st, if we can contain their qb running 25 times, are all winnable with Maurer, if we run some I form or single back, some PA off either, read option, qb draw, screen and chunk it deep 7-8 times. With prep in the summer and August and that plan, we are 3-1 at worst and who knows at UF. I guarantanamo you we woulda had more than 88 yards at the half. Off the bench and in 2 drives, the kid got half the first downs for the entire game.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

While also throwing a fastball? I'm sure he can.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Easiest throw in the world to make

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

not only does he do that, but its like hes counting (1, 2, 3) in his head like a robot. He look straight, then looks at the rb, then does a robotic windup and the thing comes out hot. RB has 2 OL and 3 defenders in his peripheral vision, much less whats coming at him from the middle of the field. Yes Ty, catch it, but damn. A quick turn to Ty and wrist flick lead with a little loft on it and hes geared up for full speed when he is in open space against the olb coming from 12 yards away. These are game losing plays that the qb continues to make. I don't know about Pruitt. But I do know, nobody wins games when their qb [uck fay]s up open man after open man and play after play. The entire team gets sucked down in it. Defense will get worse. Their body language will be worse. Angles will be worse and focus because they are gassed and know their qb can't win. What a mess.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Only if he plays.

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I really think the admin wants to get 2 more years down the road, but 3-9 makes things dicey. It would take a little help from Pruitt in the sense he has to lock some player in the equipment cage, punch someone, or offer to resign with a modified buyout. If he has a top 25 class they will still sell it.

But, if it were me? I would fire him after Bama. Fulmer can interim. Offer Miles under condition he keeps Chaney (he needs him). Besides chewing grass, Miles and Barnes not so different in resumes. We need experience. Pruitt will get 1 mil as a dc somewhere and keep Chaney to save a little on buyout. If Butch lands somewhere that might help too. Then hard sell Pittman. You know I am right...swallow

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That sums up our current QB pretty well.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I like Maurer because he throws the [uck fay]ing ball past the LOS.

Maybe it’s complete.
    Maybe it’s picked off.
    Maybe it’s into the 20th row.
    Don’t give a shit.
    It’s thrown and not eaten or thrown to a covered receiver at the LOS.

A-Smith, Okibi2112, SeabeeVol and 7 others like this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bye is at -3.5 right now.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And that will only rise as we approach Saturday practice time.