Saw Jimmy Sexton

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Jun 8, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

speak for about half an hour and talked to him for a few minutes afterwards the other night. Interesting guy, and although I can't really say I learned a tremendous amount, he did sign 7 of the top 11 NFL picks this year. A couple of highlights:

1. Says Tim Tebow really is as good of a person as the media would lead you to believe. I don't know what else he would say about a client, but there it is.

2. Said he thought he closed the deal with Trent Richardson by being brutally honest, telling him to save every penny because his running style would probably lead to a short career.

3. Advised anybody looking to get into the agent business to start like he did--become best friends with the greatest defensive player to ever play the game in college (Reggie White.)

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but since he represents Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley, I thought UT fooball was as good a spot as any.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Interesting stuff.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The most powerful man in the SEC

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good to see the revisionist history about White's college career still going strong.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Perhaps he means they became best friends in college and was the goat in the nfl. Noone could argue he was the goat in college. Well yeah, I suppose they could. And they do.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

White never saw a day on the field that he was better than Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis. Hell, there's a good case he wasn't even the best player on his own line in Philly.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

No arguments here. Great player, sure. But not as good as the two you've mentioned and some others.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think that's pretty debatable. 13 time all pro, 2 time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, all time leader in sacks, gets 16 sacks at age 37, and was defensive player of the year at 37. Taylor was probably better at his peak, but White's longevity was really impressive.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He probably gave Dooley the same advice he gave Trent Richardson about short careers and saving every penny.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was a great player. He wasn't the greatest.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I didn't say he was, but it's debatable to say Lawrence Taylor and Ray Lewis are "clearly" better than White.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If it were not for a car wreck, they're at least tied in the minds of a lot more people.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

How long has Ray Lewis been in the league? The longevity factor is right there with White and he's carried a franchise for 15 years.

Lawrence Taylor literally revolutionized a position (and gave birth to the Parcell coaching tree imo).

White was a fantastic defensive end.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yeah, he was alright.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is an underrated post

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Ray Lewis essentially has about the same resume as Reggie White as far as accomplishments; that's why I said he wasn't clearly better than White. He probably is just as good.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not far enough away to get overly worked up about a friend of his proclaiming him the best.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If Reggie had the same fire as Ray, he'd be Suh.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Sexton was really just saying that he got lucky. I took all of the hyperbole, whether it was about White, Pippen, Tebow, RGIII, or any other of his clients, as sports agent fluff.