SEC TV Deal

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 20, 2019.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I think with Verne it was about 6-7 years too long. It was pretty obvious in ‘08-09 that he had lost a lot.

justingroves likes this.
  2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

There is no doubt Gary knows football but he had the propensity to say some incredibly dumb things. I liked Verne, but it got to a point to where he couldn’t even pronounce names like Reeves-Maybin correctly.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Bwah, bah ha ha

4. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

I can still remember the way he did this about Tebow. He went on and on about Superman wearing Tim Tebow underwear. The way the both of them carried on about him as if they had some sort of sexual fantasy about him was just ridiculous.

kptvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

You might already know about it, but if you're paying for Hulu and ESPN+, you can go ahead and get Disney+ free in a bundle

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll agree on Gary. He's just become annoying and insufferable as an announcer. He does know his stuff though.

Verne is incredible and as much as I love Nessler I do miss him.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Jalen Meeves-Raybin lives forever in our hearts

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

wow. I really have never enjoyed a cbs broadcast team for college football, and there are probably posts from me groaning any time we had a cbs game.

The coverage is always about how inspiring the opponent is for x, and how bad UT has been ir replaying the embarrassing thing that happened weeks ago over and over even if UT is currently up three scores on a favorite.

Also, the sec network music is better.

CBS can go in peace, but I am not going to pretend like they ever did UT, or the SEC, any special favors. If anything, the SEC did them one by signing and keeping a deal well below their worth. CBS got a bargain.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

im amazed so many announcers and spotters don't see things accurately until a 3rd or 4th replay when they finally see it.

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m going to do Groves’ suggestion and just hire Spurrier & Majors to livestream commentary of each TN game. Just turn your tv down and dial them in on an app. Profit.

NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm pretty sure Gary still brings up Tebow and raves about him whenever any type of opportunity to do so presents itself.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

every time he gets an erection. Or is it the other way around?

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

CBS' biggest mistake was when they would not renegotiate when the league expanded to 14 teams.

Part of me wonders if they knew 300M wouldn't do it but they bid anyway to say they tried.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

see, they can't get the full value is the problem. A big part of the worth is to play up the undercards, show the rise of contenders even if they are phony. "game of the week" doesn't cut it in a league of 14 where any given year 10 to 12 think they can win it all. the value isn't just in Bama vs LSU or Auburn vs UGA. it's in all the people who will watch 3 to 5 sec games a Saturday if you let them.

Tenacious D likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

I'm curious to see how ESPN moves forward. SEC and the Big 10 are not going to coexist well together.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Give me this now.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Big 10 fans here always talk about how boring the big 10 is. Maryland fans don't care about ohio state one way or the other, and that is the only team that really matters (and whoever they are playing).

I feel like the sec just has more juice, so that even games with no post season relevance have some passion around them.

18. Tenacious D

Excellent point, and one being completely overlooked. There can only be one 7pm game on the primary channel.

19. Tenacious D

The one time my wife said this to me, her laughter quickly gave way to heaving sobs.

So, it’s a mixed bag.

20. Tenacious D

In the global realm of sports, the rabid and all-encompassing passion for SEC football is only eclipsed by international soccer.

Fight me.

utvol0427 likes this.