Seeing The Marlins Open Their New Park...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Apr 4, 2012.

1. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

For some reason I don't find that surprising. :popcorn:

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I got thrown out of the Tommy Bowl in the Appy State game in Pearl's first year for throwing wadded up pieces of paper. Other than that I got nothing.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

NYY, how long has the fine rule been in place? Getting tossed as a manager is part of the game and your AD hopefully will see it that way. It is done for three legitimate reasons, in my mind: 1) To turn the game back in your favor and protect your players, i.e. by fussing about judgement things like balls and strikes; 2) To "light a fire" in the team as they say, and hopefully focus them back on the task at hand; 3) Or if the umpire misinterprets or rules contrary to the rule book, like misunderstanding what a balk is, which seems common at the high school level.

I guess what I am saying is... getting tossed in a baseball game is as American as apple pie. A well-timed ejection seems right to me. That certainly would apply to hoops as well. (I should say the standards for players are very different on this account, though I had a one or two run-ins in my day).

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

boosh.jpg

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes, but it "promotes bad sportsmanship".

Never mind the T$$AA is just less greedy then the NCAA.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's been in place for a while. Cardinal hit the nail on the head. The TSSAA is more crooked than the NCAA, if you can imagine that. My AD won't have an issue in that I was actually deflecting the attention from my catcher who was one comment away from a shower as well. I took two steps out of the dugout and got a semi-sentence out and bang I'm gone. After that, what was said can in no way be viewed as good sportsmanship. Would have been better if he knew who Tenny D was when I told him he sucked more [ock cay] than our heralded leader.

As for the AD footing the bill, I'm fairly certain a school got reprimanded for paying a coaches fine a few years ago. Now if the booster club repays said coach then it would be impossible to trace. I know that's happened on at least one occasion.

7. CardinalVol

I hate the T$$AA. Hate. They've made exactly one decision since I graduated college that was actually for the players benefit and not for the administration or schools.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've actually got a great relationship with most umpires. The only time you'll see me argue is if they blatantly don't know the rules or they're out of position. The latter bothers me more than anything. Umpires, like players, can hustle if they can't do anything else. Get your rear end in position and make the call, I'll live with it.

But tonight, we had a "look-at-me" guy who just flat out sucked. And when our catcher respectively asked a question, he ripped his mask off and made a scene to the catcher. At that point, I've gotta go. No questions asked.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Steve Cishek, current pitcher for the marlins, played collegiately for Carson Newman.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The best thing they could do is disband and start from scratch.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wait till you have a woman ref a football game for you

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd be more concerned as to why a kitchen was hosting a football game.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Protecting your players in rule no. 1 as coach. Your catcher is the most essential player on the field to protect at that.

14. CardinalVol

Really?

Wow.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've seen some stuff from officials at the high school level that leads me to believe that a high percentage of them absolutely use their biases to decide close calls.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I struggled to accept that even on the level where we were just pulling flags from each others' waists.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

There is no way it gets any worse that the high school BB refs in the Knoxville area. You can barely talk to them before they start acting like butt hurt women.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

The new park looks nice and I like that they did something different than the traditional look. I hope the ball travels a little better with the roof closed because Giancarlo Stanton crushed one early in the game that should have been out of the park. Seth Everett was on the radio this morning saying they only have 9,000 parking spots so people were selling parking in their yards. He also said a bus ride to the park will only get you within 9 blocks of the stadium. I didn't really understand that but those things need to be addressed going forward. The fish tanks behind home plate are a nice touch to the stadium.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Unless the city of Miami wanted to buy a bunch of houses, there was no solution to the parking issue. The stadium is exactly where the Orange Bowl sat. It's right in the middle of a residential area. In the time I lived in South Florida, I never attended a game at the OB where the car wasn't parked in somebody's yard.

20. CardinalVol

I hadn't paid enough attention to know that's where they put it.

Yeah, the two or three times I saw it, I always chuckled at the surroundings.