So long and thanks for all the fish.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LunaFreak, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You're pressing. Relax and let it happen....

Don't be jealous. You're up near the top as well.

NY is the king of the one-liners. Henny Youngman once sought him out for material.

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I'll miss seeing those threads with links to a podcast with 0 responses to it pop up from time to time.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Picture a rocking chair tester with a hemorrhoid. I think it's hilarious. I meant it as a compliment.

4. JayVols

Ok. Misunderstood the intent. Sorry 'bout that.

But still, you've produced much better. Don't sweat it. Even the best fall flat occasionally. Look no further than Butch and his best staff in America for an example.

You're still among the greats. Just keep with the process.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You just compared me to Butch. You're dead to me.

6. JayVols

Atta boy. THAT was funny.

The process works even though it wasn't really a comparison. Just an example.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Who the **** are these people?

8. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Also Tupac, and Turk from Scrubs

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Brown bear!

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Speaking of 'the process', I saw these quotes from an Elon Musk interview. As if I needed any more reason to love the guy.

"Anderson: So—how do you do it? What’s your process?

Musk: Now I have to tell you something, and I mean this in the best and most inoffensive way possible: I don’t believe in process. In fact, when I interview a potential employee and he or she says that “it’s all about the process,” I see that as a bad sign.

Musk: The problem is that at a lot of big companies, process becomes a substitute for thinking. You’re encouraged to behave like a little gear in a complex machine. Frankly, it allows you to keep people who aren’t that smart, who aren’t that creative."

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe that qualifies as a "BOOM!"

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure how this translates to football.

I've heard the whole "process" thing on various levels of football, both successful (teams I played on) and unsuccessful (Butch, UT). The way I've always looked at it is that if you get lost in the process of accomplishing something rather than focusing on the end result, the end result will often come out in your favor. It's about doing your job on the most basic level and trusting everyone else to do theirs. That's it.

I don't want players on my team to be "creative." I want them to do what I've taught them to do. If I've taught you to run a corner route on a specific play, and you decide to be "creative" and run an out route, it can **** the whole play up. If you're a tackle and you are supposed to let the end loose on a read play, but instead, you get "creative" and try to block him, the QB has nothing to read.

The idea of trusting the "process" is perfectly fine in football, so long as the guy implementing the process knows what the **** he's doing. It's that latter part which is the key to whether we will ever be successful or not, not the idea of the "process" itself.

13. gcbvol

Of course it's not going to translate 100% but there are comparable components. While you were looking at process as it applies to players (non-exempt employees), my focus was on that of coaches and admin (middle/upper management). I think at the lower levels process certainly has its place and can be a necessity. However, as one moves up the pyramid creativity and intelligence become more valuable.

Our current UT coaching staff enjoys trumpeting the process; they appear all-in on 'the process'. This makes sense when we observe their performance - not much creativity, certainly, when it appears the only way they can or will approach offense is 'plug and play'. They appear to make no attempt to adjust philosophy to better match available resources. By trusting the process the coaches have established a boundary at the outset, whereas substituting intelligence and creativity could move us past said boundary.

It is similar in business. Your leaders serve to keep their employees engaged and high performing; trust me when I tell you that creativity is often necessary to accomplish this. It also takes intelligent and creative leaders to routinely examine and improve the processes that are a part of any business.

14. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Hello. Names woodshed, and I'm troll. I've pissed more blood, banged more snatch, and took more lives than all those VN sum[itch bay]es combined.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm pretty sure Elon Musk is a real life Bond villain.

You know those shots in Bond movies where the cabal of evil super geniuses sit around the conference table making plans for world domination while petting their cats? If you could see their faces, Elon Musk would be in chair #3, right next to Richard Branson.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

How much you got to bet?

He works for an investment firm.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A website like that has got to pull in dozens of dollars each week, though.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is an all-time post. All-time.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Facts won't be tolerated in any discussion. It's bad for the team.

20. gcbvol

That's awesome. I can see it now, Musk & Branson using their space technology companies to pull off a modern day Moonraker.