Something else to consider.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by O+W=H., Nov 29, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

11 wins and he keeps his job then.

Going 8-4 or 9-3 and still getting beat by either USCe or UGA and Alabama doesn't cut it.

2. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I wish the number were 9, but if there's not a quality win.... he's packing up.

3. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

yep. must have two quality wins no matter what.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's another viewpoint I don't understand. If you won't fire a coach after this abomination of a season, how in the hell do you fire one that just won 9 games?

5. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

You can be sure he'll be sayin 'look boys, the bambboo is growing.'

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Stop it. Stop trying to make me optimistic. He doesn't love us. He just wants his food on the table when he gets home, a quiet and clean house. It is NOT our fault he hits us.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

That's my biggest problem with keeping him. If you do, you're probably stuck waiting until 2014 to see your next coach.

He wins 9 games next year and he'll return in 2013. Can you imagine how bad it'd look from a PR standpoint for Tennessee, a team with 4 losing seasons in the last 6 years, to fire a guy for winning 9 games?

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Quoting a player who started this season and what he said Thursday in regards to Dooley -

"We're tired of his shit. It's not worth going to a bowl game to have to put up with him for another month."

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It'll be hard enough if he only manages 7 all things considered. 9 wins will be worth a lifetime contract to some.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Everything Dooley has done to this point screams that he can't handle the job. If someone told me that I was crap in front of the world at every opportunity in an effort to keep heat off of them, I would do whatever it took to take a giant dump on them. That happened Saturday. The players figuratively extended their arms made a fist and slowly raised their middle finger right in Dooley's face. There's no putting the cat back in the bag. He's lost this bunch. Why keep someone like that for another year? For the sake of being fair? These players have spoken. They don't give a shit about fair. You can intimidate and denegrate for so long before the victim realizes that they have some power too. That's happened.

Add the fact that there has been no development in many areas. If he can't coach 'em up, or he can't inspire them, why the hell do you keep him? Because of his 'folksy' one liners? Because he can recruit a little? Well, one persons 'folksy' sayings is another's person's smart ass. As to recruiting, what good does it do to buy a Lamborghini and not be capable of putting gas in the car? I say cut the sum[itch bay] loose before we waste another season on a guy that we know that what we are gonna get out of him is not going to be up to snuff?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love this post so much.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The scary part may be that, if true, some of the players we will absolutely have to rely on next year... are the ones that gave him the big FU. Which means, either you don't play them, and risk a bad season, or you play them, and risk them playing as individuals, and not as a team.

Both cases suck.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like I said, he has to reinvent himself to them. He needs to have a team meeting, spill his guts about his own shortcomings, allow them to vent their frustrations with him, apologize for any and all transgressions, and then fire them up to build up the program together, and everyone in the room exchanged promises and pledges to be the best athletes and coaches they can be with no bullshit going forward.

He needs a rebirth, and the team needs a reboot.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Would prefer a resignation.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm just saying what I think Dooley has to do if he wants to be successful here.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Haven't had enough of those lately... oh... right.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'm with you. Nothing wrong with him getting the team together, letting them vent, acknowledging his shortcomings, and having a little therapy session to get them all on the same page. My concern, whether the players embrace him or not, he's going to have to outcoach somebody...I don't see much reason to believe that's going to happen.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

kpt are you in favor of Dooley?

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

If Dooley wins, fine. I don't think anyone has much against him other than the whole losing more than he wins thing.

Pretty considerable 'if,' all things considered, unfortunately.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Knew since the Georgia game he wouldn't be able to get it done.