Something is Different / Wrong

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 22, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They are tight.

This is the most pressure on a team in my lifetime. 07-08 never had this. No one has. They've, for the most part, been able to be the fun loving feel good story underdogs for almost a year and a half. Now they are a favorite to win the thing on top of the pressure on themselves to win the thing.

Part 2 - they are a bunch of good guys. And that is awesome. But, there's also not a straight up jackass alpha male on this team to take over, and IMO, we need one in the worst kind of way.

A-Smith and Tenacious D like this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many bull shit shots did that dude hit at the end of the game? We won by 7, but shouldn’t it have been closer to 15?

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Admiral is the closest thing.It’s gonna have to be him.

Williams has gone into a shell. Alexander has gone into a shell since we first got ranked number 1. Fulky is a better option than him at this point. Bone was the tightest guy on the floor yesterday.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’ve started to wonder if we aren’t feeding Grant enough or if he just isn’t demanding the ball enough.

Either way, it still feels like our offense is significantly better when it goes through him. If we are gonna lose, I’d rather lose forcing the ball to him than just jacking up bad 3’s left and right.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree with all of this.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not sure about Bone being tight. Came out up 9-0 from the start. He also hit a huge 3 to stop a run and clutch fts late. Imo it was more of the 3/2 packed in zone daring us to shoot, taking away penetration and his elbow shot.
    Grant getting 6 shots and Fulk getting 3 is the story imo. Guys have to be ready to shoot and make if teams take Grant out of the game. No championship caliber team can be afraid to pull the trigger and we were for a little while after starting 1-8 from 3.

7. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Agree on Admiral.

I think Grant was asking for the ball of late, but guards have been hesitant and the window closes. I do think he is sometimes to unselfish. Even in the games he has been average this season, he has typically been there in the clutch.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Sum Ting Wong
    Ho Lei Fuk

Poppa T likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Wi Tu Lo

One of the greatest pranks of all time.

10. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I think they fixed it

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This thread was the answer.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Y’all know they read this

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

At halftime

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yep.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Feel like this deserves a bump.

16. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

This team is missing that five star guy to take over. Individually, no one on this team can "go get" a bucket when things are spinning. Look back at recent games, anytime they string about three poor possessions together, they get frustrated, play isolation ball and everything snowballs. Yes, a shooter would help, but they need a pure, five star scorer to make tough baskets. Grant Williams is the closest thing to that, but for some reason, Tennessee goes away from him and everything gets stagnant. Tennessee going away from him/he not demanding the ball has cost Tennessee two definite wins this season.

17. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Also, Tennessee had nine assists at the under eight timeout of the first half. They finished the game with 12 total. It is pretty simple - If they aren't moving the ball, they will not score. When they don't score, they don't defend. Once again, Tennessee is not talented enough to win making isolation plays.

18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

This couldnt have been stated any better.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Bone is the straw. He has to know that he has got got to push it against Purdue.

20. Ssmiff

Imo, Bone became hesitant after a couple of early in the shot clock hard drives, where he ended up on the ground, from where he got up slow,and the other team had the numbers.
    Pretty positive Barnes has talked to him about staying aggressive but making the right play/pass/pull up along with also considering the in game situation. Basically pull up at the elbow instead of taking yourself out of a play while we are blowing a 25 pt lead.