Spring Football 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Mar 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The offense has a dominant OL. It will be fine. I doubt we see a 35 point a game average, but the O will be able to control the game against inferior opponents (no more 40 point shootouts against Troy or Mizzou) and I fully expect better game planning against teams with an obvious talent edge.

Neal and Lane are going to get plenty of carries. Between Croom, Bowles, North, Harris, Pig and Young they'll have serviceable WRs. Brendan Downs is a solid TE, not as good a receiver as Ryvera but a better blocker. Justin Meredith, if healthy, can be the receiving threat Ryvera was. You insert a QB that doesn't turn the ball over at Crompton rates, the O won't be the reason ball games are lost.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Based off his hs career, I would have never thought that about Downs. He was good, but he didn't strike me as D-IA good. Kudos to him.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's looked pretty solid every time I've noticed him on the field. I think he blocks pretty well and I've never seen him drop a pass.

4. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I look forward to seeing a qb extend drives or regain mo by getting some yards with his legs and making the D defend the whole field. Been waiting on that for many years. For the last several, on 3rd and 3, 4 or 5 yards, the D knew we were going to pass and seldom had to account for the rb or the qb. We weren't handing it off and the qb wasn't running.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I saw him practice and I coached with several of his coaches that I am still good friends with. He seemed a bit lazy at times. It's immaterial now. He's doing well.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not a probable NFL player, but he's a solid player. Give me six guys as good as him at their respective positions and five legit NFL guys and you'll win ten games a year

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Agree on Pig. D Young (slot) too, he's good in space.

I like the move of J King to TE, very athletic with good hands.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's going to be used exactly like Chris Brown was

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

HB?

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Cutclife's use of Chris Brown in that offense is one of the more genius things he's done in his career.

11. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

But he was sooo slow.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep, he was too good not to play but didn't really fit a particular position

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will look a little different but he'll be doing a lot of the same things

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Should get targeted in the red zone a lot then.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

#teamBreezy

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Any one know of a good hotel that is close to the stadium? Its been awhile for me.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The best five options are probably Holiday Inn (World's Fair Park), Crowne Plaza, the Hilton, Hampton Inn and the Four Points Sheraton (which is actually on campus). Another option would be the Knoxville Marriot but it's a pretty far walk compared to the other four.

We stay at the Crowne Plaza when possible.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The Hilton gets my vote

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i stayed at the crown plaza for the cal/tenn 06 game. wasn't a bad hotel. bartender kept the bar open for me after the game to drown my sorrows.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Southern hospitality.