State of the defense 40 days out

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volokie, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Tim Banks is our coordinator. A coach of some resumes in the big ten type teams most notably Penn State. He’s been named as a contributor on the roster of different teams of defensive accomplishments and rankings in sacks/tackles for loss/pass defense yards etc. what do we know about him that gives us confidence especially on 3rd down defense? He claims he won’t use youth as a crutch as butch did, you wear the colors you’re expected to improve and impress. Will it be an attack defense or bend don’t break? Defense is the big unknown variable this season!

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Realistically, until we see the improvement, it's hard to know where it will be. They were great at penetrating(hehe) and getting tfl, and with Garner coaching the DL is going to continue to improve, but you're counting on unknowns to improve a secondary that's going to likely be on the field a LOT. And we lost our best defensive player, who was a DB.

I have no faith in that secondary until I see tangible improvement. The MCB was sickening to watch.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If we coulda stopped qb runs on 3rd and 4th down we would’ve been able to get off the field and wouldn’t have looked so bad at times. Didn’t bama go 15/20 or something crazy like that on 3rd downs? And we were in the game late in 3rd. What if we held them to 50% and got the ball back to our offense for 5 more possessions.
    Hopefully we look different this year but we do have some difference makers coming in this year and next.
    I don’t recall many horrible calls or telegraphed blitzes leaving us in bad matchups. We just truly only had a couple players who would start on other sec defenses. We blitzed, we mixed up man and zone and we dropped 8 at times so we tried everything. Have to stop qb runs this year.

IP likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Yeah we went 2/13 on 3rd downs and bama was 15/20. That’s the game right there. 13 more possessions extended. We get a couple more and stop 5 of theirs that’s 7 more possessions to our offense, 7 fewer for them, and getting D off the field so we don’t wilt in the 4th

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

And fatigue was certainly a factor. We would play have the snaps pretty solid-- good enough to win. And then the frequency of bad snaps increased as the game went on.

6. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Sounds like under conditioned players, and coaches limited in their choices by personnel. Also I hope they improve the process of getting players on and off the field faster. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that vandy or Missouri had better numbers on defense.

7. Ssmiff

I don’t think we were out of shape. We just didn’t go to the bench much and defense was on the field for 80 plays.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

My dude, they were a short bench and on the field a LOT. Go look at time of possession. Their margin for error is small. If the offense is going to be that fast, it has to be a lot more efficient. Along with the defense. Like Ssmiff was saying, we were a lot closer than people think in many of our games. Just a slight difference of efficiency and those losses are at least down to the wire.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Banks got every bit he could out of that defense and then some. How quickly we forget some were saying that defense was going to be worse than the 2021 Sunseri disaster and compete for worst defense in SEC history. It wasn't great by any means, but I'm not sure how you could have reasonably wanted more given what we had out there.

Average talent and no depth. We got all we could have hoped for.

MaconVol, zehr27, TDVol1989 and 2 others like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defense did about all it could considering the circumstances

MaconVol, TDVol1989 and IP like this.
  11. Ssmiff

Don’t need a coach to get you to stop the qb run after awhile. Somebody just step up and don’t let it keep happening. Huddle leader tell them to stop letting the qb loose.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The defense was a revelation in the first half of the season and was quite bad in the last month. Is that just depth, or did we get figured out? Depth seems plausible, but the contrast was stark. Nobody in the first half of the season got to us like Purdue and Kentucky did.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Alontae missed the bulk of the UK game and all of Purdue. He was able to take his side of the field away in passing situations.

Now, it's Hadden, Turnage and the juco signee's time to show up. I'm pretty bullish on Christian Charles being very good, but I think he's more safety/nickel than a true cb.

IP likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's hard to do when you've been on the field 40 minutes

IP and OneForVol like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Depth is the biggest thing Tennessee needs and it's still one more round of transfers and signees away.

Memtownvol, IP and OneForVol like this.
  16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Probably some of both.

17. Ssmiff

true but don’t let it happen so early and often and save some minutes

18. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’m definitely taking the approach of not expecting much from the defense. Just show flashes defensively and score a [uck fay] ton of points on offense and I’ll take it.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The defense just needs to find a way to grab 2 turnovers a game and we will be fine.

justingroves and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Better our thinnest unit be the secondary rather than Dline. Hoping that Rodney Garner's unit can give the D a fighting chance.

Also, we really really need Banks to stay healthy all year.