Superconference

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 6, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here's how I would do it.

First, some of these can be argued, but for simplicity's sake, these teams would be the members -

ACC (8) - FSU, Louisville, Clemson, UNC, Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, UVA

Big 12 (7) - Texas, OK State, OU, K State, BYU, WVU, TTU

B1G - (8) Mich, OSU, Penn State, Mich St, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Pac 12 - (7) Washington, Oregon, Utah, USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU

SEC - (9) UT, Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU, A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, SC

Ind - (1) ND

That's 40 total teams. You could convince me of anywhere from 32-48 teams should belong in this.

Divide the teams in 8 divisions of 5, which could more lor less go along current conference lines. Add ND to B1G, shift Nebraska to Big 12, shift Arkansas to big 12, and BYU to Pac 12.

Each team would play 12 games - required 7 teams in their division plus 3 other Super Conference teams. The other 2 games can be their "buy a win" home games against non Super Conference Teams.

Playoffs - Of course, no conference title games. Top 2 in each division automatically make playoffs. Two wild cards would also be selected of the remaining teams.

Playoff Schedule - Move Army/Navy back to first Saturday in December. Playoffs would begin the second weekend. Schedule using 2023 would play out -

Dec 8/9 - round 1
    Dec 15/16 - quarterfinals
    Jan 1 - semis (would always be NYD)
    Sometime Jan 9-13 - Title game

I tried to select 40 teams based on the 2 criteria that I assume would be used. 1) fan base/TV ratings and 2) competitiveness. There are arguments for or against more than one team. I get it. This was just an overall framework idea of mine. If (when) it happens, I hope it's something along these lines.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd like a nice divisible number like 48. Maybe have it like promotion/relegation for those last 8 spots. Top non-superconference team get promoted each year, for a 4 year term. Worst team of those 8 gets dropped each year. So you could have a team like Ole Miss hang around in the 48 so long as they don't totally fall off.

Would add a lot of drama.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I would like to explore the concept of auto-leveling divisions, especially since the talent gap is more pronounced in college. Maybe use some computer models every 1-2 years to reshuffle divisions to increase the chance of the best teams making it to the playoff round each year. Probably a terrible idea.

4. CardinalVol

48 is actually my ideal number, I just didn't feel like picking out 8 more schools in this scenario.

Also love the concept of relegation in this.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe a promoted team is protected for 4 years, so it is only the oldest 4 that are jockeying to not be last among themselves.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Relegation/promotion is the only answer to keep some school from getting in and then realizing they can spend 1/40th the other schools and still get paid

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I like where Kentucky isn't in it.

utvol0427, Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Ole Miss, TCU, Miss State, Missouri off the top of my head

9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I like a tournament style personally. 3 super conferences of 16 teams. Each super conference has 4 divisions of 4 teams. Regular season winners of each division have a 4 team playoff to declare 3 conference reps to playoff. You take everyone outside of the 48 and pick the best 4 however it’s done (something statistical should be included) to play for the 4th position. In reality 16 teams have some type of post season. In theory you could re-seed the 16 if you want. I think it makes the regular season more compelling as you are competing with 3 other teams for a spot. I suppose there could be a component that allows the 4th playoff group to include some conf runners up.

Definitely re-shuffle the pods every few years AND the schedule.

tn_longrifles likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

OneForVol likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

lol Kentucky. Nobody watching you and you still think Stoops “decided to stay instead of go to Tx A M”

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

They are probably being carried heavily here by the bigger SEC teams they played. I'm not sure what the neilsen cutoff is (maybe SEC network isn't included? We only have 7 games, and I don't remember that many being on SECN+)

Edit, it's in the link. SEC Network isn't included. So any Missouri games on ESPN/2 or CBS are going to have a bigger school driving viewership.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Don’t tell a Missouri fan any of this

16. JohnnyQuickkick

My brother went to the game over there. They did a B2 flyover and some fans were talking shit like “you don’t see that in knoxville” and my brother was like “yeah but I wouldn’t be able to hear what you were saying if we were in Knoxville”. He said the atmosphere sucked

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Far as I can tell, Missouri fans have the life cycle of a Triops shrimp. Their eggs lay dormant in the soil for years until a "winning season" arrives, and then quickly emerge and feed on detritus to grow and mate as quickly as possible before the losing season sets in. And like a Triops shrimp, they're [uck fay]ing weird looking.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

They sit on a bunch of spray painted rocks. Hard to suck much harder than that.

19. CardinalVol

Pretty sure we've had one flyover before.

Should have just responded that we have a air force base 10 miles from campus, we get pretty much whatever we want for flyovers.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

I’ve said it before but the worst thing that could’ve happened was them coming into the league with a decent team when not one of UT, UF, or UGA had their shit together, and it was about the only 2 years out of 125 when you could say that. They actually think they belong because of that