Targeting

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volguy1971, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Between the calls on us the last two weeks and the absurd on called on the Florida DE on a sack, these calls are completely out of control.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That call on Randolph was 100% legit. He launched into him, putting his shoulder pad directly into his helmet, and not that you need anything more than that, it was also completely unnecessary and chickenshit.

It should have been called, upheld and his ass thrown out.

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Not a VFL obviously.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'd like to see the rule tweaked, because I don't think it is evenly enforced. If you don't want to get receivers blown up, make that the rule. If you don't want head to head, make that the rule. I don't like what they have now.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Just happened in the fsu/Clemson game and wasn't called

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Agree 100%, it was a chickenshit play by him. The Florida player that was ejected was bullshit. They get it wrong too often.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. Targeting depends on the the officiating crew and that's bullshit

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Yep, as was ours last week. These were hits squarely in the chest. They need to allow for helmets barely touching.

9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Apparently leading with the shoulder is also verboten. Why even play tackle football? One day a game is going to be 159-147 because defenses will just let players run by out of fear that they'll draw a penalty/ejection...

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I agree on Randolph, but the FL play was the right call. His helmet jarred the Vandy QB head and I agree with it 100%. The Mosely call was not correct.

11. TDVol1989

Watch that again. If you still see it that way fine. But, I say the FL play was a legit call as was Randolph.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I'm with you in this one

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The call last week was complete BS. At first look, I thought the same about today's call. I am still not 100% sold on it being a good call.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The rule is stupid as shit. But you still have to know it's a rule.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

The vandy qb bent his knees and lowered his head into him, bracing for the hit. The Florida player didn't do anything wrong there.

16. Tenacious D

Last week's deal with Mosley was an abomination - nothing wrong with that hit, at all.

The rule is shitty, and needs to be tightened up, but I agree with Dooz - you have to know it's a rule.

But even the deficiencies of the rule aside, what Randolph did was inexcusably bad, unnecessary and easily avoided. That hit could be used as the very reason why the rule is necessary, and in place.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If Martin isn't there to deflect the ball's path, it's a good play imo.

18. Tenacious D

Lincoln enjoyed the whole play, sans a moment in the second Act.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is my sole problem with it being a good call outside of the rule being part garbage in its current form.

20. TDVol1989

Helmet to helmet is always a foul. He led with the head. This one will hold up all day. Might as well define a strike zone on players. I agree that there should be some definition of last avoidable chance that takes into account the movement of the player being tackled, but I think the Vandy player's movement was minor.